Totally confused (auction coming up)

ChickPrincess

Songster
7 Years
Jul 6, 2012
Canandaigua NY
I need some help, please!
I have 8 chickens that I bought as 1 day old Buff Orpingtons (from TSC). Now that they are about 12 or 13 weeks old, they don't look anything like a Buff Orpington that I have seen and I am having a hard time figuring out pullets and roosters! HELP!

This first pic is one that I KNOW is a rooster. He has looked like a rooster for a good month but has not crowed yet.

Next 2 pics are ones that I'm quite sure are pullets. Their combs and waddles are much smaller and their body weight is much smaller. Am I right so far?

Now, it's these next 2 pics that I am so confused about. The rooster in the first pic has looked like a rooster for awhile. These two just started showing signs (larger combs, waddles and their tail feathers). If they are roosters, that means 5 out of my 8 are roosters. :( Oh, their body weight is also bigger, too.

Am I right in thinking they are roosters? Is it common for them to develop so much later than another rooster the same age? We're talking a good month.
Do I really have Buff Orpingtons? Or were they mismarked?
I feel so dumb but I am clueless! The poultry auction is Aug. 11th and I would like to get rid of all roosters except the one in my avatar.

They were mis-marked.
They look like Production reds or Sex-Links.

I see only 2 cockerels- the one in the first and last pictures. But the rest look like pullets.

You have at least 2 roosters, and they are absolutely not Buff Orpingtons. Think of Buff as the chicken equivalent to California human blonde in coloration.

What you have are Production Reds (which have Orpington Ancestry, by the looks of their white legs), which are awesome egg layers, but not purebreds in any way, shape, or form.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

You have at least 2 roosters, and they are absolutely not Buff Orpingtons. Think of Buff as the chicken equivalent to California human blonde in coloration.

What you have are Production Reds (which have Orpington Ancestry, by the looks of their white legs), which are awesome egg layers, but not purebreds in any way, shape, or form.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

At least they are good layers.
I have since bought a "real" Buff Orpington and she looks nothing like them.
I HATE when something is mismarked. I was so happy I had bought what I thought would be sweet fluff balls.
th.gif
Very frustrating.

I'll stick with the Black Australorps. I know I can tell an Australorp from a production red! LOL

The ones with the black tailfeathers are the ones that were sold to us as BO's.
Between the black tails or the white tails, which are red sex links and which are producers?

The ones with the black tailfeathers are the ones that were sold to us as BO's.
Between the black tails or the white tails, which are red sex links and which are producers?
sex links have the white on them and those are all hens. the production reds have the black on them 1st pic and the last 2 pics are roosters the rest are hens

sex links have the white on them and those are all hens. the production reds have the black on them 1st pic and the last 2 pics are roosters the rest are hens

If those are roosters (that's what I was thinking... just needed confirmation!) then that means 5 out of 8 are roosters. Poop.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom