Tough

Trish1947

Songster
Nov 2, 2021
Arizona
I raised my first Cornish crosses and they are ready for butcher. We butchered four of the 20 the meat is so tough you can’t even chew it. What did I do wrong?

Like sourland said probably Needs to rest until rigor mortis has passed. When the joints move freely, usually 1 to 3 days.
Since they are CX I doubt they are so old they need to be roasted but here's cooking type by age

Screenshot_20201124-175957.png

I raised my first Cornish crosses and they are ready for butcher. We butchered four of the 20 the meat is so tough you can’t even chew it. What did I do wrong?
We kind of need to know what you did before we can know what you did wrong. The more you can tell us the more likely we will pickup on something. To me the most likely is not aging past rigor mortis but that is a guess.

No actually. I had no idea we should do that! Sort of a newbie at this. How long should it rest and also, at room temperature?
In the chill chest (the fridge). I've seen recommendations as short as 8-12 hours, I like 2-3 days.

If you want a little science with your tribal knowledge, short read.

Last edited:
We kind of need to know what you did before we can know what you did wrong. The more you can tell us the more likely we will pickup on something. To me the most likely is not aging past rigor mortis but that is a guess.
Well. We killed then dipped in hot water for feather removal, removed feathers and insides. Washed and pick off all remaining small feathers etc. washed again then put in freezer. The one I cooked I cut up and put in fridge until it was time to cook it.

Back
Top Bottom