Toulouse Geese Thread

Miss Lydia
No egg this morning
sad.png
Well which ever one is laying probably will lay tomorrow since they lay every other day. I am still waiting on my Toulouse to start laying this year.
idunno.gif

Miss Lydia
Tuesday afternoon . I have an egg .
Guess this means only one is laying I'm getting an egg every other day
Post some new pics of your 2 full front if you can..

Sure sounds like only one is laying, which could mean you have a gander but what is throwing me is that there is no breeding between the 2.

Miss Lydia
Wednesday - egg in the nest !
So far 10 eggs 7 hardshell 3 no shell
First egg was 3/7. 10 eggs would make today 3/27
So must be the second goose has started - agree?
Or could one goose lay daily ?
I have reservations on the gander , maybe it would be better if I get 2 goslings and raise them loved and sweet .
I was also given 2 female Peking ducks . I haven't picked them up yet because of all the egg stress .and I don't have a separate fenced area and house here. I m not sure it would work to put them in with geese. When I move I have separate duck house , pond , enclosure for night.
I'm also thinking of changing goose house bedding .
I'm using a course sawdust that is kiln dried and I use for horses. And grass hay for nest area. I'm thinking I should use sand for main floor and deep sawdust for nest . Thoughts ???

Miss Lydia
Wednesday - egg in the nest !
So far 10 eggs 7 hardshell 3 no shell
First egg was 3/7. 10 eggs would make today 3/27
So must be the second goose has started - agree?
Or could one goose lay daily ?
I have reservations on the gander , maybe it would be better if I get 2 goslings and raise them loved and sweet .
I was also given 2 female Peking ducks . I haven't picked them up yet because of all the egg stress .and I don't have a separate fenced area and house here. I m not sure it would work to put them in with geese. When I move I have separate duck house , pond , enclosure for night.
I'm also thinking of changing goose house bedding .
I'm using a course sawdust that is kiln dried and I use for horses. And grass hay for nest area. I'm thinking I should use sand for main floor and deep sawdust for nest . Thoughts ???
One reason I don't like saw dust is dust. Sand is a cold medium but some do use it. I have only used straw oh gosh hated it and I have used horse bedding for close to 10 yrs and love it. easy to scoop out poop and fluff up it is also for nesting.

I'd say you have 2 ladies and one was just late getting started because they lay every other day as far as I know.. So congrats!! Beautiful egg.

And congrats on your 2 new girls you'll love the eggs too so nice for baking if you like to bake. I have used my goose eggs for brownies and boy was that good too.

You better think about getting an order in for sexed goslings if you want a gander because they sell out fast from what I've heard, it would be nice to raise from goslings but I guarantee your still going to have to teach him not to bite and go after you when mating season is on. I'd introduce your new ducks to the geese through fencing to start off let them get use to each other with out any confrontations Once they have lived side by side for a week or more then try putting them all together. You just never know how geese are going to behave around another species and it's always best to err on the side of caution instead of coming out and finding a plucked duck.

Miss Lydia
I raised chickens at same time I raised the goslings.
They were never physically together only through fence , however the geese never stopped antagonizing them and trying to grab them through the chain link . So I feel I was right in thinking it was a bad idea to put ducks and geese together. Your plucked duck made me chuckle , not funny but my head makes funny pictures.
What is it that you call horse bedding ? I started out using the baled shavings from tractor supply but changed to the sawdust because it was here . They were raised on the TSC shavings . I hate the hay in the house. It's soooo wet and heavy to clean out .
Thank you for all the conversation and support. Means more than you know.
1f60a.png

Miss Lydia
I raised chickens at same time I raised the goslings.
They were never physically together only through fence , however the geese never stopped antagonizing them and trying to grab them through the chain link . So I feel I was right in thinking it was a bad idea to put ducks and geese together. Your plucked duck made me chuckle , not funny but my head makes funny pictures.
What is it that you call horse bedding ? I started out using the baled shavings from tractor supply but changed to the sawdust because it was here . They were raised on the TSC shavings . I hate the hay in the house. It's soooo wet and heavy to clean out .
Thank you for all the conversation and support. Means more than you know.
1f60a.png
It's the shaving like from TSC but here at our feed store it's called horse bedding. I like it. I can go in and use and scoop out the wet places then just turn the shaving over and it is really to use. I keep anywhere from 6-10" of bedding in my houses.

Good your are experienced with how geese are with other poultry. Mine are fine out in the open half acre but no way could they be closed up at night together.

Miss Lydia
Thursday and I have an egg.
I caught the goose squatting for my dog, this is a new concern because he's a 5 month old Chesapeake and was eager to play with goose. Ughhhh
I will go back to the shavings . We have warm up this weekend and I will totally empty the house and rebed.
Again thank you for hanging in there with me. I've learned so much from our conversations .

Miss Lydia
Thursday and I have an egg.
I caught the goose squatting for my dog, this is a new concern because he's a 5 month old Chesapeake and was eager to play with goose. Ughhhh
I will go back to the shavings . We have warm up this weekend and I will totally empty the house and rebed.
Again thank you for hanging in there with me. I've learned so much from our conversations .
Yay so for sure you have 2 females. But not a good idea for goose and dog to be playing especially a young dog. Poor thing really needs a man[Joke] gander. lol

I have enjoyed our talks and enjoy all your Posts.

Miss Lydia
My thoughts exactly about the dog/ goose relationship.
Now you can see why I felt I was letting her down inan earlier post
1f643.png

I'll keep you posted as we move and continue the journey.
Thank you so much for all.

Back
Top Bottom