Toulouse Geese Thread

They are beautiful, and what a nice place to have them all. Those goslings have grown so much.
love.gif
I let the tinies out of their pen when I´m around to watch them, but come Wednesday they´ll be three weeks old, so they´ll be out all the time with the others.
At the bottom of the slope is marsh which has water running through, and we´ve slowly been channeling the water to make it more useable and the birds love it. The water in this pic is from a spring. It´s only a small one, but they get constant clean water and it´ll slowly become another pond. They love to eat the marsh grass, it´s very lush, but as we´ve only recently started cutting it, there are some bald areas. The areas that the geese have already been cropping are looking really green and good. I love to see them when they´re all cropping the grass. They look like cows in a field, all facing the same way, heads down and....munch!

I let the tinies out of their pen when I´m around to watch them, but come Wednesday they´ll be three weeks old, so they´ll be out all the time with the others.
At the bottom of the slope is marsh which has water running through, and we´ve slowly been channeling the water to make it more useable and the birds love it. The water in this pic is from a spring. It´s only a small one, but they get constant clean water and it´ll slowly become another pond. They love to eat the marsh grass, it´s very lush, but as we´ve only recently started cutting it, there are some bald areas. The areas that the geese have already been cropping are looking really green and good. I love to see them when they´re all cropping the grass. They look like cows in a field, all facing the same way, heads down and....munch!
I bet it is enjoyable to sit and watch, is that typical behavior of geese to all face the same way while munching on grass?

I bet it is enjoyable to sit and watch, is that typical behavior of geese to all face the same way while munching on grass?
It´s great. I have my laptop here on a table by the glass door that looks over to the geese in the marsh, so even if it´s raining I can watch them. When I´m having a coffee I get on the BYC and sit here reading, sipping, and watching...
smile.png

They tend to face all the same way, yes, because they mostly stay in their mini-flocks, even though they sit close to each other´s groups. So, when one decides it´s grazing time, they usually all get up together and go from the shade under the trees to the marsh grass, so they all arrive there and slowly move across eating until they arrive at the pools, then they go off to the water, one group to the pond, one group to the stream etc. Then it´s back to the shade for a break...of course, they don´t stop eating..they eat the grass that´s all around them under the trees, it´s a different sort of grass, and they like the seed-heads on it. Munch munch.....and then one decides it´s grazing time......
lol.png

Oh gosh you make me want my own nice flock of geese, I'm thinking my dh would probably leave me though he says 2 is enough, although I may be able to soften him up a bit come breeding season. The geese's not ours.
wink.png

Oh gosh you make me want my own nice flock of geese, I'm thinking my dh would probably leave me though he says 2 is enough, although I may be able to soften him up a bit come breeding season. The geese's not ours.
wink.png
yuckyuck.gif
I´m always amazed at the patience my hubby has with me and my birds...but then I was 15 when we met, and I already had 4 aviaries of birds and other animals. He had to get used to it. We´ve been married 35 years, so he´s got used to it, poor thing. I think he views it as an acceptable down-side
lol.png
, although he does actually like them too, and shows interest, like nursing that little gozzie that hatched but didn´t make it..
I´m making chicken jackets right now, as I have a chicken with a nasty wound due to the cockbird, and he´s offered me his old fleece jacket to cut up, even though he wears it in the chácara on the colder winter days. I won´t use it, though, as he may go looking for it later...I´m cutting up mine instead.
big_smile.png

yuckyuck.gif
I´m always amazed at the patience my hubby has with me and my birds...but then I was 15 when we met, and I already had 4 aviaries of birds and other animals. He had to get used to it. We´ve been married 35 years, so he´s got used to it, poor thing. I think he views it as an acceptable down-side
lol.png
, although he does actually like them too, and shows interest, like nursing that little gozzie that hatched but didn´t make it..
I´m making chicken jackets right now, as I have a chicken with a nasty wound due to the cockbird, and he´s offered me his old fleece jacket to cut up, even though he wears it in the chácara on the colder winter days. I won´t use it, though, as he may go looking for it later...I´m cutting up mine instead.
big_smile.png
yuckyuck.gif
and what is a cha'cara couldn't do it like you did? I have some hen savers just in case but haven't had to use any yet. What I need is lil helmets for my hens some of them will miss a few feathers on their head at times. What types of birds did you have when you were 15? sounds interesting, and congrats on living with one man that long, I'm going on 46 with mine.
lol.png

yuckyuck.gif
and what is a cha'cara couldn't do it like you did? I have some hen savers just in case but haven't had to use any yet. What I need is lil helmets for my hens some of them will miss a few feathers on their head at times. What types of birds did you have when you were 15? sounds interesting, and congrats on living with one man that long, I'm going on 46 with mine.
lol.png
Sorry, I forget....we use portuguese words here mixed in with our Englsih, and I forget! A chácara is a little house in the countryside with a bit of land to keep a bit of livestock, maybe up to 2 or 3 acres. We have just over 2 acres here.
And of course I have a Brazilian laptop which has accents on it: ç ^ ´ ` ~ etc.....
lol.png

I already lost one hen some time ago with a different cock, he opened her right up, poor thing. I have 2 cocks. One treads their backs and they lost their back feathers, hence the jackets, and the other one is usually very nice, this is the first time I´ve had a damaged hen with him. I can only assume it was him because of the site of the wound, but actually she was sitting on eggs when I discovered itm, so she´s either alreadyu had the wound for almost 3 weeks (since she stated sitting), or he jumped her while she was off her nest, or it was something else. Anyway, I have to get her better first. She has a big hole in her side. I don´t know how it´s going to heal, but I´m spraying it and keeping it clean and fly-free with some silver stuff available here. I took her eggs and 3 were alive so I put them under a lamp and two days later they hatched. I´m so pleased it wasn´t a total loss. I´m trying to get some aloe vera to put on her flesh so that it can keep moist until the skin closes over. That´ll take ages, but that´s about the best I can do. She´s in the spare bedroom so no flies can get to her.
lol.png
People here think I´m nuts!
Hey, you could make some nice little bonnets for your hens!!!!

When I was 9 my dad started me off with a pair of budgies, and that grew to breedine budgies, canaries, cockatiels, finches, etc.......but I enjoy the bigger birds much more! After I met my future hubby, he made me a home-made incubator to hatch out my button quail. It worked sometimes....amazing enough!

And congrats to you, too, for the 46 years. It´s give and take, isn´t it....I give him his dinners, he gives me his time.....and know-how, and muscles.....and a lot of patience. My parents were good role models, they were together since they were 15, too...my dad died of cancer some years back which cut it short for them. They were together for 60+ years, married 56 years. He so much wanted to visit us out here in Brazil, he was as fit as a fiddle apart from the cancer....he never got here, but my mum comes out every year! She´s 83 and dances the samba with the best of them here!
lol.png
And she loves to help me feed the birds. She goes down on her own to visit the geese, and unlike many, she has no fear of them....she loves it here.

Sorry, I forget....we use portuguese words here mixed in with our Englsih, and I forget! A chácara is a little house in the countryside with a bit of land to keep a bit of livestock, maybe up to 2 or 3 acres. We have just over 2 acres here.
And of course I have a Brazilian laptop which has accents on it: ç ^ ´ ` ~ etc.....
lol.png

I already lost one hen some time ago with a different cock, he opened her right up, poor thing. I have 2 cocks. One treads their backs and they lost their back feathers, hence the jackets, and the other one is usually very nice, this is the first time I´ve had a damaged hen with him. I can only assume it was him because of the site of the wound, but actually she was sitting on eggs when I discovered itm, so she´s either alreadyu had the wound for almost 3 weeks (since she stated sitting), or he jumped her while she was off her nest, or it was something else. Anyway, I have to get her better first. She has a big hole in her side. I don´t know how it´s going to heal, but I´m spraying it and keeping it clean and fly-free with some silver stuff available here. I took her eggs and 3 were alive so I put them under a lamp and two days later they hatched. I´m so pleased it wasn´t a total loss. I´m trying to get some aloe vera to put on her flesh so that it can keep moist until the skin closes over. That´ll take ages, but that´s about the best I can do. She´s in the spare bedroom so no flies can get to her.
lol.png
People here think I´m nuts!
Hey, you could make some nice little bonnets for your hens!!!!

When I was 9 my dad started me off with a pair of budgies, and that grew to breedine budgies, canaries, cockatiels, finches, etc.......but I enjoy the bigger birds much more! After I met my future hubby, he made me a home-made incubator to hatch out my button quail. It worked sometimes....amazing enough!

And congrats to you, too, for the 46 years. It´s give and take, isn´t it....I give him his dinners, he gives me his time.....and know-how, and muscles.....and a lot of patience. My parents were good role models, they were together since they were 15, too...my dad died of cancer some years back which cut it short for them. They were together for 60+ years, married 56 years. He so much wanted to visit us out here in Brazil, he was as fit as a fiddle apart from the cancer....he never got here, but my mum comes out every year! She´s 83 and dances the samba with the best of them here!
lol.png
And she loves to help me feed the birds. She goes down on her own to visit the geese, and unlike many, she has no fear of them....she loves it here.
What a precious story of ya'lls lives before marriage and after, sounds like your dad was a wonderful person. And isn't it wonderful when they can be up into their 80's and still enjopy life, my dad just turned 87 this past oct. and he still makes a big garden every year. And to have those chicks hatch under a lamp with out an incubator is great. I hope mama heals from her wounds.

Okay...the flock is larger. A trio of Muscovies, they were going to put one of the girls down thinking she had a dislocated hip. I said I would take her and she just gave her to me. A week of extra protein and bed rest and then walking with her at her own pace and telling her it was okay to take it slow, and you would never know she had an injury. Six Toulouse, Eight Embdens, two more pair of White Chinese(one of the boys finds me alluring
idunno.gif
. I am waiting for the arrival of the two Grey Saddleback Pomeranians that the Holderreads had left from the dispersion. We are just getting weather reports in sync between here and there. We actually got snow accompanied with 50 mph winds for two days. Two Pyrenees litters expected late this month. You said you wanted one
wee.gif
be careful what you wish for. Hannukah Claus might give you a surprise. I have no idea how you get your posts at the bottom of your threads that list what you have. Remember...I am antiquated
old.gif
I am in need of some high tech edumacation.LOL! I have missed everybody. Been having oral surgery, medical procedures and too many doctor appointments. They had to extract a tooth and it was infected so the Amoxicillin didn't work and I started feeling septic. Clindamycin kicked it out finally. After the teeth are done, I will talk to my Orthopaedic/Pain management doc and my Neurosurgeon to see if anything can be done with the neck and back. We will just have to see. I will be back on BYC more now.
woot.gif

Love ya, Miss Lydia, and Sammy and Missy too! I need to get a hold of RURU.

Back
Top Bottom