Toulouse Geese Thread

Toulouse geese, and most geese for that matter, are notoriously hard to sex except for vent sexing which is difficult if you don't know what you are doing. I have three myself, a presumed male and two presumed females. One of the females has white wing tips (these are called primary feathers). The other female, and the male, have dark grey wing tips. I say they are presumed male and female because I do not know for sure and won't until eggs are laid in a year so so. There are other behavior traits that seem to support their genders. The one that we believe to be male almost always leads the other two around. One of the females seems to be bonded to the male while the other female seems to be "support staff" to the bonded female. While they will all honk to let us know that things are going on the male will honk and move to defend the other two.

Just enjoy them and one day you may have a nice surprise.

Got the new goose pen/coop finished and fenced and managed to lure the three angels in a couple of day ago. Everything is fine, the stand and stare back at where they came from and refuse to go out into their new 2 acre range. And, for two evenings now, I have had to chase them down, pick them up and put them in the coop at night. Will they eventually learn that this is their new home and go in on their own or will I have to put them in each night forever? Staying out at night is not an option because of predators.

Got the new goose pen/coop finished and fenced and managed to lure the three angels in a couple of day ago. Everything is fine, the stand and stare back at where they came from and refuse to go out into their new 2 acre range. And, for two evenings now, I have had to chase them down, pick them up and put them in the coop at night. Will they eventually learn that this is their new home and go in on their own or will I have to put them in each night forever? Staying out at night is not an option because of predators.
Where's the pics? lol oh when we built the geese their very own house last year. I had to pick them up for about 2 weeks and put them to bed, they finally got it. yours will too. They sure do't like change but neither do I much.
smile.png

Now that would be a pretty picture. Me, at 66 years of age, bad knees and hips, chasing three geese around a pen trying to convince them that they would be safer inside at night instead of outside with raccoon's and coyotes. That picture would show up on the internet much too soon for my taste.

Now that would be a pretty picture. Me, at 66 years of age, bad knees and hips, chasing three geese around a pen trying to convince them that they would be safer inside at night instead of outside with raccoon's and coyotes. That picture would show up on the internet much too soon for my taste.
Okay well then what about a pic of the finished project.
tongue.png

Do geese mate as pairs r can 1 male mate wit 4 females r do I need to buy 4 males
Also, are they free-range? If they´re free-ranging you could go with more males, but if you´re a bit limited with your space, one male mayb cover the 4, but it depends on how loyal he is to his favourite gal. Sometimes they´ll cover one more poor neglected goose, maybe even 2 extra. Depends, really, on their nesting. Once one is sitting, he´ll look to another.....or maybe just get another male.
Having said that, geese are best in pairs if you can accommodate it.

One male and four females means that you probably will have at least one old maid goose around. One male and two females is usually o.k. Four males and four females in the same pen could become a problem.
your blog looks good.
thumbsup.gif
love those mimosa trees. and of course Miss Lydia is gorgeous.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom