Toulouse Geese Thread

Okay well then what about a pic of the finished project.
tongue.png
Ask and you shall receive. Sorry it is not better and more "on target" for the goose pen but you can see it pretty well. That is me with the ducks (6 adults) at my feet. The 18 baby Cayuga's are still in the nursery for another few weeks. The chickens are all out and about, I think there are few things a peaceful as birds free ranging. The chicken house and run and the duck house and run are to the left of the picture. The new goose house is to the right. It is about 5 feet tall by 8 feet deep and 10 feet wide. So the three of them have 80 square feet to sleep in safely. I opted for a draw bridge type door so they would not have to step up and down to get in and finally, tonight they went inside on their own. The goose run is in front of the pen and is about 20 by 25. There is a gate on the right that lets them out to their range of about 2 acres which you can see part of behind the pen. Behind the camera is the house which sits on a little over an acre yard with oak and pecan trees. To the far right, behind the camera and in front of the house, is the orchard (peach, apple, pear, apricot, grapes) and the house garden which is currently dying corn with tons of grasshoppers. The ducks love their outings to that area where they pig out on the hoppers. The geese don't seem to be interested in them though. Anyway, that is Moran-Newman Farms. A nice place to be retired and a lot of work.

When building the pen I did the foundation and framing, wrapped the entire thing in 1/4 inch fence fabric, then did the exterior panels (1 by 6 treated pine). The windows are 1/4 inch fence fabric over 1 inch metal gridding (sort of like you would use in building an outside grill). The roof is 3/4 inch exterior plywood covered with tar paper covered with corrugated metal roofing.

The second picture (below) is oriented a little more to the left and show the field behind the chicken/duck pens which is about 125 acres of Mesquite thicket with Black Angus running on it. They all just calved and they come right up to the fence to try to figure out what these noisy feathered things are. You can also see three of our dogs, the Anatolian, the Sheltie and the Short Haired Pointer. Duke, the Anatolian, does the protecting, Red, the Short Haired Pointer, wants to track and hunt them and Bela, the Sheltie, wants to herd everyone and keep everything in order. Everyone spends a good deal of their time at the fence very frustrated.

Ask and you shall receive. Sorry it is not better and more "on target" for the goose pen but you can see it pretty well. That is me with the ducks (6 adults) at my feet. The 18 baby Cayuga's are still in the nursery for another few weeks. The chickens are all out and about, I think there are few things a peaceful as birds free ranging. The chicken house and run and the duck house and run are to the left of the picture. The new goose house is to the right. It is about 5 feet tall by 8 feet deep and 10 feet wide. So the three of them have 80 square feet to sleep in safely. I opted for a draw bridge type door so they would not have to step up and down to get in and finally, tonight they went inside on their own. The goose run is in front of the pen and is about 20 by 25. There is a gate on the right that lets them out to their range of about 2 acres which you can see part of behind the pen. Behind the camera is the house which sits on a little over an acre yard with oak and pecan trees. To the far right, behind the camera and in front of the house, is the orchard (peach, apple, pear, apricot, grapes) and the house garden which is currently dying corn with tons of grasshoppers. The ducks love their outings to that area where they pig out on the hoppers. The geese don't seem to be interested in them though. Anyway, that is Moran-Newman Farms. A nice place to be retired and a lot of work.

When building the pen I did the foundation and framing, wrapped the entire thing in 1/4 inch fence fabric, then did the exterior panels (1 by 6 treated pine). The windows are 1/4 inch fence fabric over 1 inch metal gridding (sort of like you would use in building an outside grill). The roof is 3/4 inch exterior plywood covered with tar paper covered with corrugated metal roofing.

The second picture (below) is oriented a little more to the left and show the field behind the chicken/duck pens which is about 125 acres of Mesquite thicket with Black Angus running on it. They all just calved and they come right up to the fence to try to figure out what these noisy feathered things are. You can also see three of our dogs, the Anatolian, the Sheltie and the Short Haired Pointer. Duke, the Anatolian, does the protecting, Red, the Short Haired Pointer, wants to track and hunt them and Bela, the Sheltie, wants to herd everyone and keep everything in order. Everyone spends a good deal of their time at the fence very frustrated.

It all looks really nice, lots of hard work but a labor of love i can tell. your so right nothing can even come close to sitting outside with the flock enjoying the antics. We use to have grass hoppers until the ducks, now i very seldom ever see one. They also got my praying mantis too, which I miss. lol
Are the geese enjoying their 2 acres of property yet? Dogs are gorgeous too. Are ya'll training your Anatolian as a LGD?

Thanks, labor and love come into play keeping this place running. As for Duke (the Anatolian), he is still just a pup but we decided that since we don't have anything for him to really guard (sheep, goats, etc) we would see how his instincts developed with a little guidance from us. So far he has displayed very strong instincts to protect the property and his "family". Yet, he is not at all aggressive except with his food. For example, he will lounge on the front porch and if he becomes aware of something out of the ordinary (the cattle coming up to the fence) he won't even lift his head just give forth the loudest warning growl you can imagine, if the warning does not work, he sits up and barks a couple of times, that is followed with a charge at what ever is "threatening" us. He has done this several times late at night and early in the a.m. when he hears the coyotes howling. The growl alone shuts them up and, be believe, runs them off. So his instincts are good and strong.

By the way, he was rescued, as were all our dogs. Our vet had a client that had a couple thousand sheep here in West Texas. They had Anatolian LGD's and one had a litter of 6 pups. The mother cared for all of them but for some reason rejected Duke. The vet took him in, nursed him and Duke spent the first year of his life in a cage/pen at the Vet with an occasional weekend home with one of the Vet Techs. One day, they know what suckers we are, we were there with another dog and they brought Duke out to the lobby. I looked at him, he looked at me, came over, stood on his hind feet and put his front feet on my shoulders (note that I am 6 feet tall) and gave me a big nuzzle to the neck. We have been together ever since.

Thanks, labor and love come into play keeping this place running. As for Duke (the Anatolian), he is still just a pup but we decided that since we don't have anything for him to really guard (sheep, goats, etc) we would see how his instincts developed with a little guidance from us. So far he has displayed very strong instincts to protect the property and his "family". Yet, he is not at all aggressive except with his food. For example, he will lounge on the front porch and if he becomes aware of something out of the ordinary (the cattle coming up to the fence) he won't even lift his head just give forth the loudest warning growl you can imagine, if the warning does not work, he sits up and barks a couple of times, that is followed with a charge at what ever is "threatening" us. He has done this several times late at night and early in the a.m. when he hears the coyotes howling. The growl alone shuts them up and, be believe, runs them off. So his instincts are good and strong.

By the way, he was rescued, as were all our dogs. Our vet had a client that had a couple thousand sheep here in West Texas. They had Anatolian LGD's and one had a litter of 6 pups. The mother cared for all of them but for some reason rejected Duke. The vet took him in, nursed him and Duke spent the first year of his life in a cage/pen at the Vet with an occasional weekend home with one of the Vet Techs. One day, they know what suckers we are, we were there with another dog and they brought Duke out to the lobby. I looked at him, he looked at me, came over, stood on his hind feet and put his front feet on my shoulders (note that I am 6 feet tall) and gave me a big nuzzle to the neck. We have been together ever since.
What a nice story, I hope to have a Duke one of these days, but already feeding 4 dogs and everyone else on a retired budget is about all I can handle. these are my LDG's for now

Don't laugh they at least bark and keep preds away. and they are good with all the flock except the littlest they aren't allowed around them their prey drive kicks in.

Last edited:
What a nice story, I hope to have a Duke one of these days, but already feeding 4 dogs and everyone else on a retired budget is about all I can handle. these are my LDG's for now Don't laugh they at least bark and keep preds away. and they are good with all the flock except the littlest they aren't allowed around them their prey drive kicks in.
if you can keep their instincts from eating your burds, they make incredible deterrent dogs, they were breed to hunt badgers for heaven's sake! A coyote ain't got nothing on a badger.

Back
Top Bottom