Tractor Supply Chicks

We had 3 barred rocks at home already that we picked up Friday af the local feed store. Put the new babies in the brooded with them...first few minutes were fine, then BF starts bellowing fir me to come down. Apparently the reds were too far a Colorado difference, and the hatreds were picking on them going right fir the eyes.

So I scramble to turn a plastic tote into a brooded, and BF makes a dividing wall on the big brooder. We went with his plan for now. I'm picking up 3 speckled Sussex Friday and 3 2-week old blrw, 3 Marans and 3 buff Orps next Friday; 3 ameracaunas and 3 E E on the 15th....see chicken math.

Then still waiting on 3 wellies and 3 Delawares.

jtbrown, I'm not for sure on the Barred Rocks, but if you took the lightest colored ones I think you might have picked all boys. I know when I picked my SLW, I thought the lightest one were so pretty, so I picked more of them, but all the light ones turned out to be boys.

Will they hold chicks for you if you call and ask them to? We wont be able to get any until next week when we get paid so I dont know if they will have the same kinds at ours that they do now. Im hopin that if they have something we really want (like barred rocks *fingers crossed*) then they will hold some for us so we dont have to be there at the crack of dawn to pick them up. I dont expect them to hold them for days. We will just call that morning when they open and then pick them up once the kids get up and everyone gets ready to go, so maybe just a couple hours.

I called them today and asked them if and when they would get some barred rocks or black jersey giants. ( They only had cornish so far. ) They said basically, they get what they get when they get it. No rhyme or reason behind the deliveries.

They also said there is no way they can put some aside for me. I have to call, probably everyday. And if they should have the ones I want, to come down asap, because they can't even hold them for the 45 minutes it would take me to go there.

But then again, that may just be our TSC.

Its prolly that way for most of them. Our seems to have a decent variety and each store i called had a little something different. Imma call back monday and see what came in on the new shipment. Dont their shipments come in on mondays? Grr i shoulda asked that. Ill have to get DH to call tom and ask. Im paranoid they have voice recognition or something and will no its me again lol. Wierd i no. Maybe they will at least get some more of the brahmas in. Do you get to pick the chicks out or do they do it for you?

Last edited:
My store will hold chicks for me they held them overnight one time. But shhhhhhh that wasn't allowed. :) The hatacherys normally ship on mon. Tue. & wed. But TSC can get them in on Monday's, Tuesday,wed thurs. Normally not Fridays or saturdays. The breeds are latterly whatever the hatacherys sends them. Which is bull. They should place orders on specific breeds. So they don't have to answer phones 24/7.

Last edited:
Azriel - I think I did pick all boys. I may go back tonight and see if I can pick 2-3 of the darkest ones and keep my fingers crossed. My husband is kindly laughing at me. We have plenty of room, neighbors a couple of football fields away, and no boys in our current floc. For now, I will keep fingers crosses that we get nice boys, our last batch were not, and they are no longer here. I would love a rooster, but they were so darn nasty last time. They are cute now though!;)

Back
Top Bottom