Tractor supply or hatchery?

Ive bought both hatchery chicks and TSC chicks. I prefer TSC because I can buy just 4 and not worry about having to order a certain number or small order fees , and I live in a really rural area and my post office is only open until 10 am and deliveries can be really delayed . As for quality I mostly have pet quality anyways and aren't planning on showing . My chickens are just pets with the side benefit of eggs. Unless you are going to show or want to breed up to breed standard . TSC chicks haven't had any heath problems or defects . My TSC chickens are turning 2 this Spring

I bought six chickens from TSC in the store on March 8. All are doing well. It may well depend on your area. Several years ago, I bought some chickens from the local farm store and some from TSC. The TSC had a better survival rate.

Quite a few years ago, I purchased 25 from a hatchery and received them via the post office. Then, they notified you of the expected arrival date and you had to be there that day to pick them up. I think I lost about 6 of them and decided that I really was not a fan of mail order.
I was very fortunate to get a date to be at our post office. I went down to talk to them before the arrival date and they called me before the post office even opened at 6am, let me in and I got my ducklings from Metzer and they arrived perfectly healthy. I think a lot depends too on the services your post office offers. To have a mail carrier deliver them would be very hard on chicks or ducklings and some people have no other options than to go that route. If I did not have a good post office I would never have gone that route. I have also bought two ducklings from Rural King last February and they were just fine. I have been very fortunate.

You can always ask your local Tractor Supply store where they order chicks from. They will tell you upfront. Then you can always research that company. I personally wouldnt get chicks from tractor supply because it the middle man. The chicks get so stressed and that just leads to disease or death. If shipping is the biggest issue, try to find someone that needs chicks too and split the order/shipping. Goodluck!

In the past we have used McMurray and had good results. Out of 70 some chicks over time we lost one in shipping. With the popularity of chickens growing in the past 10 yrs quality stock is now available within driving distance. We got our new bunch from a great "Chicken (crazy) Lady 2 hours up the Pike. Tour of her operation, listening to her you know she knows what she's doing and has experience with breeding and care. Straight run or sexed. if only she had Blue Aussies or Lavender Orps. Keeping an eye on upcoming hatches and what will be available. "cause as we know, we're always open to more chickens.

I also wanted to note, alot of hatcheries do the 2-3 minimums because if one dies then they still have a buddy, and they will have a buddy to grow up with. Another reason they have minimums is because if your ordering before May in most places it is still cold for the chicks to ship with overnight temperatures. If there are more in the box they will have a better shot at surviving.

I've bought from Meyer Hatchery, in person at Tractor Supply, and also in person at a local feed store. All three worked out just fine. I'm ordering my chicks this year from Meyer Hatchery again. The shipping price stinks, but at least I know what I'm getting. At TSC, I ended up with a roo, but he's friendly and a good lookout for my girls so we kept him. At the local feed store, I also ended up with a roo I had to re-home. I've never received anything but pullets from Meyer Hatchery. All birds from all three places were healthy, happy, and beautiful. Don't know if that helps at all, but that's been my experience.

Do experienced chicken keepers prefer to buy chicks through Tractor Supply or hatcheries?

We ordered 7 black Australorp chicks this summer from Mount Healthy Hatchery. We received 8, and all are pullets and wonderful, healthy birds. Our experience was so great that I'd naturally be inclined to order from them again.

But they do charge a $30 shipping fee for shipping fewer than 15 chicks, and there's an understandable shipping minimum of 3 chicks.

Ideally, I like the thought of going to Tractor Supply and having the freedom to choose the individual chicks and possibly choosing only 2 as opposed to 3 (and risk the possibility of receiving 4 -- our run would be maxed out at 12 chickens). However, I have no experience buying chicks from our local TSC.

Is buying from TSC comparable to buying from a good hatchery? Or does the quality of hatchery chicks make up for the additional costs?

Thank you!
Don't know about quality, but TSC has a 4 chick minimum in most pl.aces.

Same thing happened here got bantams but turned out to be Silkies TCS can get very confusing but it's sometimes fun like open a mystery box I am very happy with my silkies and didn't expect it but anthor problem not sure if in your area it's illegal to own roosters but it is where I am and tractor supply chicks are straight run so you have no clue what gender you are getting
Have been getting chicks from TSC, private breeders and hatcheries for many years now and our local TSC and several others nearby that friends frequent are NOT all straight run. The bins are all labeled so you do need to read the signs. They may say RIR or Wyandotte in which case both sexes are included or they say RIR PULLETS, Wyandotte PULLETS, or just pullets (That one is fun and you can get many interesting breeds. I have gotten Russian Orloffs, and Domeniques that way.
I have NEVER gotten a rooster from a pullet bin which is more than I can say about shipped pullets or chicks from breeders.
And even the straight run bin I once picked five bantams, one was a rooster, the rest pullets and out of five ducks only one was a drake.
So if you want girls from TSC buy from a pullet bin.

Our Tractor Supply here in Ohio told me that it is now the law that they have to sell 6 at a time. I looked up the law and it said as of April 7th of 2023 no one will be able to sell Chicks or Ducklings less than 4 weeks old and they have to be sold in lots of six. It said it did not matter if it was a private owner or a store too. I was surprised that our law had changed.

Back
Top Bottom