Tractors Supply Pen/Run

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
Producers Pride Universal Poultry Pen

Has anyone used these "pens" from Tractors Supply? It looks pretty durable. I'm thinking I would need to add hardware cloth to keep snacks out at the bottom and maybe something to close the gap between the door and adjoining wall. Ideas on that? Also, where would thehardware cloth be needed? For example, the bottom 12 inches? I live in Kentucky so hawks, raccoons, opossums, possibly snakes.

Hardware cloth up on the bottom few feet, and few feet out as an apron at the very least. Also at a glance it looks like the corners are open where the panels come together, so I'd consider covering those gaps with HWC as well.

With the gate what I do is apply HWC a little bigger than the gate itself to the gate panel, and overextend wire on the sides of the opening, so when the door is closed the 2 panels of HWC sandwich over each other.

I saw a grown skunk go through a 3"x3" square hole before, heavy gauge like what that pen is made out of. It took a minute to squeeze throught but it went through. The squares in that pen appear to be 3"x3" or 4"x4" so I'd agree that you need smaller holes at least near the bottom.

I have two. They're pretty sturdy, work well and are easy to assemble, but definitely require additional predator protection, depending on predators. Rosemarythyme's suggestions make sense.
Can I ask what you added? Also, I planned to add an extension, which they are made to do. Is that fairly simple to do as well?

I've just put pavers around the perimeter, except where it butts onto concrete. Our predators are mostly cats, hawks and owls, so it works for those. I do plan to put down a hardware cloth apron, as raccoons pass through our area on rare occasions.

If bird flu keeps heading west, I'll need to do a lot more, though, as birds (and small squirrels) can get in pretty easily. I also use shade cloth, tarps and shower curtains for weather-proofing as needed.

My two pens are joined. It's pretty easy to do, and there are two or three configurations. I'll see if I can find the email they sent with instructions. 😊

This Is the PDF they sent me for joining 2 pens. The 1st method would require the coop to be inside. The 2nd method works well in general except that it creates an "M" shaped roof. Not too big of a problem here, but might be in a heavy snow or rain area.

Attachments

• 1333983_Man3.pdf
    305 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I've just put pavers around the perimeter, except where it butts onto concrete. Our predators are mostly cats, hawks and owls, so it works for those. I do plan to put down a hardware cloth apron, as raccoons pass through our area on rare occasions.

If bird flu keeps heading west, I'll need to do a lot more, though, as birds (and small squirrels) can get in pretty easily. I also use shade cloth, tarps and shower curtains for weather-proofing as needed.

My two pens are joined. It's pretty easy to do, and there are two or three configurations. I'll see if I can find the email they sent with instructions. 😊

This Is the PDF they sent me for joining 2 pens. The 1st method would require the coop to be inside. The 2nd method works well in general except that it creates an "M" shaped roof. Not too big of a problem here, but might be in a heavy snow or rain area.
Thanks. I'm putting my coop inside. I dont trust it on its own!

Back
Top Bottom