Tragedy Averted! **Awesome Snake Photos**

Anyone ever had a cotton mouth eat chicken eggs?? I heard a lot of clatter in my laying area, and found this with two eggs in it's throat!!
30604_img00009-20090709-1440.jpg

Well I got my trusty ole stick and laid it across it's lumpy throat and proceeded to bring it out and get my eggs back!!
big_smile.png
It was a pretty good size one!
30604_img00010-20090709-1442.jpg

Anybody else ever heard of a cotton mouth doing this??

Snakes are horrible this year, to date I have killed 27 rat snakes, 3 cotton mouths, and 2 copperheads. Cleared the dollar store shelves of moth balls and It dosent work for me

Quote:
Holy crap, I have never heard of a cotton mouth getting eggs!!!

Cotton mouths are opportunistic buggers, they will eat about anything, nothing like pulling up a string of fish with one hanging on trying to swallow one on the line. I have even reeled them in after they took the live bait on a hook, and they have a nasty temper with a hook in their mouth.

I was told they would come in after my chicks, especially when the creeks went down, but I never knew they would come after the eggs!

He didn't come in under the run wire. It came in throught the walls of the stall. I have converted the bottom half of my barn into a huge coop. And I have my brooder and juvenille area pretty much predator proof. And I am still "under construction" in the other areas.

I did have to send a coon to the other side last night, it found a loose board and got in to eat some eggs, but scared him off and it ran into my rooster area and was trapped! So now it won't be bothering my girls anymore!!
jumpy.gif
I plan on getting a pic of today.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom