Transporting 4 birds a very short distance

sallylou1973

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2017
Hi all,

Finally made it to NC and am all settled in. Put out a commercial on local tradio and have found a man who's willing to part with 4 chickens (don't know all the details other than they're hardy, calling him back today once I've got everything set up). Making my preparations first as I have the coop but need the feed, feeder etc etc (have a great local organic farm supply place to get everything), but I was wondering if I will be ok transporting them in a dog cage once I go get them. It's literally 5 miles away so ten minutes max. I have a metal dog cage that's approx 25x18x18 with a plastic bottom. Would that suffice for that short journey for 4 chickens? Thanks :)

I'll have full details when I call him later, but I do know they are fully grown hardy hens. That's just based on his voicemail. I only want hens as they're purely for eggs. Sorry I'm being a bit vague

Tip - place an old bath towel in the bottom so the chickens won't slip and slide during the journey, as well as absorbing the poop so you won't have poop covered chickens when you get them home.

Well they made it and seen happy enough. Here are Hyacinth, Rose , Daisy and Violet. If you know Keeping Up Appearances, you know
1f602.png

You hens look beautiful! It appears they're a bit stressed from their journey and being introduced somewhere new. I recommend some electrolytes in their water for the next day or two.

Back
Top Bottom