Transporting Ducks

solarpup

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Hello All-

Well, it looks like sometime in the Spring we will be moving from our home in Massachusetts to the St. Louis area. That's about a two and a half day drive for us (a brief drive to a siblings house in New York, and then an ~9 hour drive and one overnight stay somewhere around Columbus, and then another ~9 hour drive to get to St. Louis).

Needless to say, we are not planning on leaving our 3 ducks behind – two Swedish girls and one mallard drake.

Anyone have advice on the best way to transport three ducks?

We actually will probably be going back and forth a few times, and set up the house in St. Louis first, and be doing a variety of flights and drives as we move things out there. So, there might be more than one option for moving a duck.

Last time we tried driving some of the ducks longer than about 15 minutes, one of them threw up a few times.

I'll also say that Southwest Airlines, the major direct flier between Boston and St. Louis, does not transport ducks in their animal hold, and would only allow them as underseat comfort animals. (Which they really aren't.)

So, if anyone has some good suggestions on the best way to transport 3 adult ducks over that distance, let us know!

I would withhold feed from the night before, than put them in a nice plastic type dog crate bedded well with hay or straw. When you arrive at your first days destination I would let them out in a small fenced area to eat and drink for a short while before removing the feed and water again. They should be okay with decreased feed and water for 2 days.

@chickens really , thoughts

I would withhold feed from the night before, than put them in a nice plastic type dog crate bedded well with hay or straw. When you arrive at your first days destination I would let them out in a small fenced area to eat and drink for a short while before removing the feed and water again. They should be okay with decreased feed and water for 2 days.

@chickens really , thoughts
Lol..Don't with hold feed and water the day they are to fly out...Fill a safe airline approved box with shavings and they should do great..During the flight with hold feed and water..Once grounded give water...Then feed once you can..

If it were me and I had a choice, I would bring them with me in a dog crate while driving. I can control their environment that way, if you fly you can’t. But that may just be me being over protective.

I would prefer driving them as well. The cargo hold of a plane can be very scary, and I agree that having more control is better.

Since you have time, I would put the transport crate or cage in their area now. Fill it with bedding and maybe some treats. Maybe lock them in it for short periods of time. Let them get used to it and learn it's a safe place. Also, covering the cage with a dark cloth while traveling can help reduce the stress.

I don't have any suggestions for transporting them, but I think you will have to get some sort of health certificate from a vet: https://www.animallaw.info/administ...ment-livestock-poultry-and-exotic-animals#s10

Luckily I am married to a vet with federal accreditation. But she just called the Missouri Dept. of Agriculture, and it's even more complicated than the certificate! They need a pullorum test (easy, can be done at home) and an avian flu test (more difficult – requires a lab), and then they have to arrive in MO within 3 days of the lab results!

Well, this is going to be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom