Trapped raccoon

Some need to review the rules of this part of the forum.
hmm.png
Resorting to name-calling is unacceptable, period.

I just want to make clear the purpose of this forum.

*This forum is for dealing with predators and pests. Period.

*If information is graphic, please note it in the subject line of your post so members can make a decision whether they want to open the thread or not. If you choose to open a thread with said warnings, it is not BYC's responsibility when you are offended.

*Dealing with predators and pests is not always pleasant. Although sometimes hard to do, please be as sensitive as possible when explaining procedures and results. Some younger members and/or squeamish adults will appreciate it.

*Although some ways are not considered ideal to some, it serves the purpose of removing the offending predator. If you have an idea or a helpful comment, please do reply. If it is a sarcastic comment about the disposal or capture of a predator, please keep your thoughts to yourself. We are not here to judge one another on methods or ways and means.

*That being said, please do not gloat or suggest torturous ways of killing for pleasure or indeed, post in such a way that your predator control can be construed as pleasure killing instead of simply taking care of a problem.

*Compassion will go a long way toward helping to educate and help solve someone's predator problem. No matter the reason, most members' birds are their pets and being a chicken doesn't make it less of a pet than a house cat or companion dog. Please don't lecture or hassle anyone about their losses. Glass houses......

*If you wish to suggest an alternate non lethal means of control, please share it in a non judgemental way that is a viable solution and not merely complaining about who was here first etc, IF it is directly related to the OP's request for assistance. If a non lethal alternative is offered, please be appreciative and remember that there are many ways and means and flaming a member for suggesting such an alternative will not be tolerated.

*It is the responsibility of the person with the predator to determine the legalities of what they do and that person will take ultimate responsibility. BYC does not condone illegal acts.

For instance, Trapping..this is a legal defence and it is not open for debate whether you prefer this method or not. This forum is designed as an aid to those who are having predator problems. It is not a debate forum on ethics.

*Please keep this in mind as we all learn from one another how to deter predators. Thanks. smile

Last edited by terrielacy (07/08/2009 2:17 pm)​

Thanks SpeckledHen. I always seem to post the threads that eventually devolve into name-calling
hmm.png

Just to re-iterate, I don't want to judge anyone for their choices, and I did come here earnestly seeking suggestions and advice, and I got some very good suggestions and advice. And on a positive note, my new efforts to keep my coop predator-proof seem to have been working. I'm not quite ready to rejoice yet, but I'm going to say that my problem should work itself out soon and I hope I don't catch another raccoon and that that's because they've moved along to another hunting ground after their efforts didn't work the last time(s) they tried.

i agree that building fortknox is the best... my parents killed 37 coons last year and lost about 25 chickens at the same time... then they built a new coop and got a good dog this year is allmost over and did not have to kill one... we live out in the boonies and just shot them in the head... i tryed drowning one once and did not like it at all... i know im a red neck but my GF parents eat them lol... after trying it any that i kill from now on will be eaten its really good if cooked right...

After reading this thread im gratefull that i live in the UK and in a reasonably built up country town so predators are limited in no. of species I think its mainly foxes, badgers and stray domestic dogs. All of which you can make your coop resistant to.

Wow, I knew raccoon was edible, but I would never eat these because they are diseased city raccoons.

And Sootsie, I want to make clear that it was 100% my fault the raccoon got its opportunity. My coop has needed some repairs to the doors, which have made it very difficult to open and shut, so I left the door open. I could kick my own butt for it (if I could reach it), but it's no use dwelling on mistakes. I learned from it and now my hens are locked up tight every night with a trap right outside their door just in case the raccoons have been watching me and have figured out how to open up the doors. I know raccoons are clever and strong, but I just don't think they're quite clever and strong enough to open my coop doors.

I just used the starter fluid method on a raccoon today.

He killed one of my three chickens on an evening when we didn't get out to lock the door early enough. Lesson learned, we thought. (Our chickens are very loved and we were very devastated). The next night he bashed in the door to their coop, and took another one. The coop door was a little rickety, but we hadn't had any trouble with predators in the last year of owning chickens, so I thought the wide open door was our problem and didn't even think about anything else. This thing was determined, and we had one more chicken left. I really felt I had No other choice.

I have never killed an animal in my life, but after finding and burying my beloved pets, I was fairly confident I could do what needed to be done. A neighbor had a live trap and offered to "take care" of whatever we caught. I had previously decided on the started fluid method, and after much internal conflict I decided I needed to take care of it myself, in a way I felt good about. Falling asleep in a euphoric haze seemed pleasant enough...(I had read of people using starter fluid to obtain a really great high).

I covered the trap with a dark sheet. It seemed to calm the raccoon a bit and stop the growling and hissing. I then came back a little later and put a large black garbage bag over the trap and sheet. This way neither of us had to see each other again, which I think we were both happy about. And cinched it up and quickly sprayed the entire bottle of starter fluid inside. He never seemed to panic or move around rapidly. He really seemed to fall asleep. He then started making really quiet sighing noises. I then made the bag airtight to keep the fumes in. A few minutes later, his breathing became rough, but he still seemed asleep. The noises stopped, and I didn't hear anything else.

A week ago, I don't think you could have convinced me that I could or would euthanize a raccoon and feel good about it. If I ever have to do it again, which I hope not to after I build a fortress for my remaining chicken and new little chick, I would 100% use this method again.

Hope this helps someone else who is looking for the most humane way of getting rid of a predator. And thanks for bearing with the lengthy post...I am a first timer with chicken loss, and I think this was therapeutic :).

I just used the starter fluid method on a raccoon today.

He killed one of my three chickens on an evening when we didn't get out to lock the door early enough. Lesson learned, we thought. (Our chickens are very loved and we were very devastated). The next night he bashed in the door to their coop, and took another one. The coop door was a little rickety, but we hadn't had any trouble with predators in the last year of owning chickens, so I thought the wide open door was our problem and didn't even think about anything else. This thing was determined, and we had one more chicken left. I really felt I had No other choice.
You used the singular pronoun, but coons live in loose colonies and where there is one coon there may be dozens. This is why relocating a problem coon into a new territory is almost a sure and brutal death for the newcomer because the new coon may have to fight many coons just to be able to survive long enough to make it back to your place.

Lots of you are making this much more difficult then it has to be....

The simplest solution is a high powered pellet gun. It's legal where standard firearms are not permitted to be discharged. They are also available relatively inexpensivelly at tractor supply or even Walmart.

They have enough power to kill any animal that can fit into a box trap. One shot just in front of the ears center of the head and it's done, instantly.

Bags and lighter fluid, CO2 gas, barrels or water, they are all not needed. Dead is dead, tourtière is different. I don't see how bags and gas are more humane than an instant lights out, I also don't understand how building a gas chamber to kill critters in helps you feel better about it.

If you set a trap you need to be able to finish the job. The only way a problem animal comes out of a trap is dead, end of story. If you don't like it don't set the trap. Remember no one else deserves dealing with a animal you decide to take for a drive and let go.

Last edited:
Lots of you are making this much more difficult then it has to be....

The simplest solution is a high powered pellet gun. It's legal where standard firearms are not permitted to be discharged. They are also available relatively inexpensivelly at tractor supply or even Walmart.

They have enough power to kill any animal that can fit into a box trap. One shot just in front of the ears center of the head and it's done, instantly.

Bags and lighter fluid, CO2 gas, barrels or water, they are all not needed. Dead is dead, tourtière is different. I don't see how bags and gas are more humane than an instant lights out, I also don't understand how building a gas chamber to kill critters in helps you feel better about it.

If you set a trap you need to be able to finish the job. The only way a problem animal comes out of a trap is dead, end of story. If you don't like it don't set the trap. Remember no one else deserves dealing with a animal you decide to take for a drive and let go.

X2!

I don't doubt you are right. Some of us have never shot a gun, let alone shot an animal. I was not, nor may never be confident in my ability to aim correctly and get it in one shot. For you a pellet gun is a fabulous solution. For me, it was a $2.50 can if starter fluid. I don't think having a few good options to choose from for someone who is unsure enough that they are googling it is a bad idea. If I keep chickens for long enough, I might have to get comfortable with a pellet gun before trying it out on a live predator.

Back
Top Bottom