Trapping Bobcats

SCAcres

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2016
Monticello, Georgia
*graphic images below*

We believe that it was a bobcat who killed three of our roosters this past weekend. Luckily, all of the hens are doing fine. And suggestions on the best method for getting rid of bobcats? Our plan as of right now is to buy a larger trap than what we've been using for raccoons. Please let me know your ideas and whether or not it could have been something else that killed our roosters.

One Rooster is completely missing, no traces of a body other than feathers everywhere, another was dead in the yard but didn't appear to be torn apart, and the last one we find a little ways into the woods without a head or much of anything. (Pictures below).

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Not to dampen your hopes, but bobcats are very hard to trap. They are smart as well. Your predator may have been something else like a fox or coyote. Possibly in multiples. First try to determine exactly which animal you need to catch. Look to see if you can identify tracks. I suggest that you try prevention as much as you can. Not always possible. Consider Hot wire Electric fencing.
WISHING YOU BEST...
sad.png

Not to dampen your hopes, but bobcats are very hard to trap. They are smart as well.  Your predator may have been something else like a fox or coyote.   Possibly in multiples. First try to determine exactly which animal you need to catch. Look to see if you can identify tracks.  I suggest that you try prevention as much as you can. Not always possible.   Consider  Hot wire Electric fencing.  
WISHING YOU BEST... :(

Thank you for your input. We've seen a bobcat around the coop a few times so are aiming to trap it if possible.

You may want to consult your local Fish & Game before trapping out of season. When livestock is involved you typically have the OK to shoot or live trap but you may want to have that verbal OK prior to dealing with out of season fur animals.

Other thing to note as they will is- did you and are you providing reasonable protection against wildlife preying on your animals? If you free range they wont have much sympathy.

Last edited:
As above, consult your local game and fish authority first. One question. Was the dead bird carried offsite covered with leaves and urinated on? This would be the mark of a canine. Cats tend to stash them above ground unless chased off while eating.

Back when my work was less busy, I spent considerable time trapping various boreal predators including Otter, Fisher, Marten, and Bobcat. I did not generally target bobcat specifically unless sign was noted as they weren't particularly common compared to the more valuable and easy to catch animals. When I did successfully catch them as targeted, they were all in 220 connibear cubby or box sets. Sometimes with a natural cubby made of rocks and/or logs, sometimes with a box cubby made from 1x12s or a square cat litter pail. Other catches were made incidentally in coyote or raccoon sets with various footholds in the #1 1/2 to 3 range. If I were targeting bobcat specifically with footholds, I would use no less than a Bridger #2 4x4 coilspring. They are strong kittys and a mature one will destroy lesser traps. Same goes for coyote.

They are sight-oriented predators. They are also curious. I always used a sight attractor. A few strands of tinsel tied to a tuft of rabbit fur with light monofilament strung over the trap site where it can flip in the breeze works well, as do some downy feathers. They do not respond well to food lures as they are not prone to scavenging. A commercial cat lure will help. Some additional rabbit fur daubed in the lure and placed in the back of the cubby will seal the deal with them. I've also had them hit weasel musk for some reason.

Last edited:
As others said, make sure what you are doing is legal.

Cats are actually fairly easy to trap! Very large cage, 3'x3' or larger. The best bait is a live chicken using a "double cage" (the cat can't actually get to the bait) or freshly killed poultry in a "cave" scenario where the front entrance is the only option for access to the prey.

If you can figure out where they're coming from and going to, the patterns should be the same and give you an advantage on elimination. Game cameras are great these days and might help.

The easiest way to catch them is a head snare, but again, legality. Google it if you are curious, there's a lot of good info out there and it's extremely effective if done correctly.

If in doubt, SSS. Emphasis on the last S.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom