Traveling chicks

cynthiaaaa

Chirping
Apr 13, 2022
Central Florida
What would y’all guess is a safe distance/ time to travel with chicks? The farm store closest to me has been hit or miss with having chicks in store. I’m just wondering how far is still safe to travel with chicks if I were to go to another place to get them and not worry about them. I’m in central Florida, so aside from this weekend it’s pretty warm and it would be about a 45 minute drive. Any recommendations would also be helpful. I’m only looking for 4 or 5 chicks, so ordering isn’t really an option.
Thank in advance for any and all help.

I think they'd be safe for longer than 45 minutes. Even with only 4-5 as opposed to hatchery shipments of 15-25 or even more. I'd bring a blanket to cover their box with, probably turn on the seat heater in your car if you have one just to be safe. Are you driving direct to a hatchery, or to another farm store?

I think they'd be safe for longer than 45 minutes. Even with only 4-5 as opposed to hatchery shipments of 15-25 or even more. I'd bring a blanket to cover their box with, probably turn on the seat heater in your car if you have one just to be safe. Are you driving direct to a hatchery, or to another farm store
Another farm store, unless I can find a local hatchery that doesn’t require a higher minimum, but I’m still new to the chicken life, so I’m not sure of options in the area just yet

They should be fine. What’s the normal daytime temperature where you’re at? They will huddle together for warmth. It’s possible it could even be too warm in the car. The middle of the car (back seat floor) would probably have the most stable temperature. Sun shining on a box might make it too hot.
After Wednesday it will be up to high 70s low 80s.

You could put heat packs in with them, like the hatcheries do. I've driven much longer with chicks in my car with the heater blasting.

I mean if hatcheries can ship them up to 3 days ...
If you have hatcheries near by, you should check with them about pickup directly from them. I know the hatcheries around her do not have a minimum if you are picking up from them even though they have a minimum for shipping. I think they have a minimum if shipping to keep the warm in the unknowns of the mail system. :)

Back
Top Bottom