Traveling with cats across country?

country freedom

Songster
12 Years
Jul 14, 2007
Greater Clark County, Indiana
Just a simple Q - just in case we move there.

Possibly moving across country.
5 people in the cab of a truck.
We have 3 grown cats and 2 teen aged kittens (younger than 8 months).

Would the cats be able to make the trip in the back of the truck?
We have kennels/cages for the cats/kittens. Kennels/cages would be anchored.
They would be covered from the sun/wind, but, breathable.
We would be stopping for breaks, and the animals would be given water at those times. Food, I feed them at 6am/6pm.

WOULD this be possible? People move with animals all the time - don't they?

So you want to keep the cats in the trailer of the truck? If so, my biggest concern would be the temperature buildup. It would get in the 100s easy in the summer months.

Last edited:
Will depend on your cats. We moved from Washington State to Florida in a Mustang with 3 older cats. Two were great but the other one, even on tranquilizers, was not a pretty sight. Needless to say it just about became a permanent resident of Texas.

sorry but question, what type of truck are we talking about cause theres different types, so is it like a pickup truck, one of those pickup things with a cab, or avalance? if its a pickup they should be ok, cab dont they usually have windows connecting them to the main part of the truck or other windows that you could open, and avalanche you could maybe take off one cover?... i dont really know im not really an expert on trucks, sorry...
hu.gif
lol.png
but i think the cats themselves will be ok, some cats get sick but they should be able to deal with it, especially over an extended period like a few days/cross country, they can get used to it, and especially if you stop often enough. However, depending on the truck, I agree unless you open a window or something, it could get very hot, is there a possibility of putting, even just some of the cats, in with you, they could maybe sit in your lap or on the floor or even in the crate or something and be pretty comfotable with the trip? I think they will be ok though, most cats dont really like cars, but they will/can learn to deal with it. good luck!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
anything is possible.
if you put the kennels in the bed on the truck that is open then they will get the fumes from the truck n cars and 18 wheelers. if possible try to get a cab for your truck so you could put a fan in there.
try taking the cats on short trip first to see what they do. . put on harness on them. make sure they are in seperate cages. u need to stop every 2 hours to ofter them/give them 1/4 cup water. if u give more water at one time they might throw up. and often them a litter pan in the truck. i would only give them half amt food only night when you stop at night.they can survive for 4 days eating like this if they dont have any medical problems.. we travel from florida to tenn with 5 cats
we end up let them lay free in are cab of the truck while they are wearing their harness they don't move at all. just go lay under the seat in back. we stop at motel and keep them in bathroom while we go in and out of the room.

Quote:
If you put them in the trailer, even if it has windows, it is still very dangerous. It's kinda like keeping a dog in a car with the windows down a little; the temperature will not be affected much. So many animals have died from boiling from the inside out because of this (and human babies). OP: Unless there is A LOT of ventilation, I would advise against it, for the sake of the cats.

Quote:
Me too. We knew even going 22 miles was a push. All survived though and we got them out right away. I can't imagine cats in the back of a rig in this heat would be very comfortable.

How long will the trip be? Maybe you can time it where you can do most of your traveling at night. I'm planning on moving about 7 hours away. I have chickens, quail, ducks, cats, dogs, fish and horses to move. I've already planned to move them at night, I'm thinking it will be less stressful and cooler for them.

Back
Top Bottom