Tre3hugger's Rabbit Thread

I don't keep my rabbits in my house, nor do I try to push others into doing so. I don't neuter or spay any of my rabbits because once they can't breed they no longer fit into my homestead system. We seem to have different goals and husbandry approaches to our rabbits. That is fine. :) But mine are farm animals first. I raise rabbits primarily for meat. When I say sell a pet I mean to a breeder or 4h kid etc. They are a heritage "livestock" breed.

I don't keep my rabbits in my house, nor do I try to push others into doing so. I don't neuter or spay any of my rabbits because once they can't breed they no longer fit into my homestead system. We seem to have different goals and husbandry approaches to our rabbits. That is fine. :) But mine are farm animals first. I raise rabbits primarily for meat. When I say sell a pet I mean to a breeder or 4h kid etc. They are a heritage "livestock" breed.
My post may have been unclear.

I meant the house rabbit stuff for people who want to keep a rabbit as a house pet, not for rabbits that are farm animals. I wasn't suggesting you neuter your animals. I was suggesting that people who want to keep them as personal pets neuter them so they don't spray pee. I know 4H kids tend to show their rabbits, though I have seen a fair number of ex-4H bunnies dumped as well (they have ear tattoos) so I'm not sure what 4H kids' goals with their bunnies are. Either way, I don't have a problem with people raising rabbits for meat / as livestock. Personally I don't eat rabbit but I know they are great homestead animals because of the feed to meat conversion, low impact, and their poop is basically the perfect fertilizer.

@Tre3hugger how did you dispatch the rabbits? I'm interested in doing meat rabbits in the future and the easiest way seems to be a bullet in the head, but if you're looking to preserve the rabbit skulls to sell, how are you killing them?

@Tre3hugger how did you dispatch the rabbits? I'm interested in doing meat rabbits in the future and the easiest way seems to be a bullet in the head, but if you're looking to preserve the rabbit skulls to sell, how are you killing them?
Last batch I used a captive bolt gun. Since I will be selling skulls this time I ordered a hopper popper. I already have 5/8 skulls reserved at 30 dollars each plus shipping

Back
Top Bottom