Treating combs for cold weather

helorugger

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 14, 2013
I noticed the early stages of frostbite on the tips of my RIRs' combs so I took vaseline out to treat their combs as suggested on this site. However, the girls were not happy to have me touching the combs at all. They are fine with stroking their feathers all the way up their necks, but when I got to the comb they would flinch.

Is this normal or are other things at play here?

Thanks!

If there is already frostbite than their combs will be tender. Remember you don't massage frostbite. I have a new cockerel that arrived two days ago at the start of this current arctic blast. I put petroleum jelly on him the first night with hopes it would help. Know he's going to lose the top of his comb and lower wattles eventually but the hope is it will be gradual enough not to get infection.

It's a shame a large comb bird arrived at one of the worst weeks of winter from a southern state. Talk about climate shock!

Good luck. I see on my cockerel the jelly didn't help or if it did not much.

These three are new to my flock too... I didn't notice the frostbite when I brought them home but saw it the next day. We had a warm snap between two arctic blasts that I think set the girls up for this because everything was damp when it got up to 40 for 2 days.

Is there anything to do now that will prevent infection?

It shouldn't get infection unless it splits open. That would be severe frostbite. Over the past years my birds all suffer a touch but he roosters get self bobbed and dubbed by spring. Non the worse for the wear.

The day before this last blast I shoveled out all damp and dirty bedding and restocked with pine shavings, even change the hay in nesting boxes trying to get everything dry. Obviously you need good ventilation but yeah, my bedding got damp during the warm trend and snow too.

Back
Top Bottom