Treating hookworms

corri

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
In early September I purchased 5 hens/pullets from a breeder I had found on Facebook. A few days after bringing the girls home I noticed some diarrhea. After having a stool sample checked it was determined they had coccidia. I started a round of Corid which seemed to help at first. I treated them for 3 weeks....first with the severe dose and then the moderate dose for the next 2 weeks. I took another stool sample in and had it checked and this time hookworms were found. I did 2 rounds of worming with pyrantal and again the stools were looking good. After almost 6 weeks of quarantine I finally let them join my flock last Friday. Now I am seeing the yellow, foamy stools again and I am just so beyond frustrated at this point. I was planning on starting a course of Corid next week just to be on the safe side for everyone as well as one more worming with pyrantal. In my desperation to get these girls healthy I have even been adding some DE to their food which I know has mixed reviews from people. I am just at my wits end and would love some advice from anyone who may have had a similar experience. They have probiotics and electrolytes in their water and I was hoping this would help. I am wondering if these girls will ever be healthy and I am just feeling sick with the fact that my silkies are probably infected now as well, even though I did a round of pyrantal with them as well. HELP!

Do people in Greece ride horses? If so, get some horse wormer.

-Kathy

I live in a small island near athens but I will try to find horse wormer. there are very few horses here. what would be dosage for chickens?

there are some goats and sheep here. I guess there are wormers for them. would they do and what dosage?

If you can't find a veterinarian dewormer, you could do what I have done here successful and use a human dewormer. I have used mebendazole or in its generic name- Vermox
Reed this link
http://www.rxlist.com/vermox-drug.htm
The dosage is 30mg/kg buddy Weight and another time after 10 dayes.
Good luck
Benny
Edited by Akrnaf2 - 10/29/15 at 5:46am

Also I have read that using borax on your soil ( not on the grass) can kill the hookworms/larva in the ground and I have spread this where I used to wash up their housing etc while in quarantine. Is this safe to use in my chicken run or would it be harmful to the chickens?

I was pretty sure chickens can't get hookworms. They will pick up eggs when they eat but they don't develop into infective larvae.

https://books.google.com/books?id=b...h0Z8QHk#v=onepage&q=chickens hookworm&f=false

Gail Damerow's 'Chicken Health Handbook' lists 19 species of nematodes that infect chickens but there is no mention of hookworms.

Also, any chicken outside will test positive for coccidia because they pick them up all the time but usually they've become resistant.

Last edited:
In early September I purchased 5 hens/pullets from a breeder I had found on Facebook. A few days after bringing the girls home I noticed some diarrhea. After having a stool sample checked it was determined they had coccidia. I started a round of Corid which seemed to help at first. I treated them for 3 weeks....first with the severe dose and then the moderate dose for the next 2 weeks. I took another stool sample in and had it checked and this time hookworms were found. I did 2 rounds of worming with pyrantal and again the stools were looking good. After almost 6 weeks of quarantine I finally let them join my flock last Friday. Now I am seeing the yellow, foamy stools again and I am just so beyond frustrated at this point. I was planning on starting a course of Corid next week just to be on the safe side for everyone as well as one more worming with pyrantal. In my desperation to get these girls healthy I have even been adding some DE to their food which I know has mixed reviews from people. I am just at my wits end and would love some advice from anyone who may have had a similar experience. They have probiotics and electrolytes in their water and I was hoping this would help. I am wondering if these girls will ever be healthy and I am just feeling sick with the fact that my silkies are probably infected now as well, even though I did a round of pyrantal with them as well. HELP!
yellow, foamy stools don't necessarily mean they are sick. it can be cecal poop. another thing might be as they grow fast their intestines stretch too much and get hurt (within 2-3 months chicken grows from egg to hen size). if they look healthy and have no other symptoms, just give them some vitamins.you can also give them some pumpkin seeds to worm them as you already treated them with chemicals.

I was pretty sure chickens can't get hookworms. They will pick up eggs when they eat but they don't develop into infective larvae.

https://books.google.com/books?id=b...h0Z8QHk#v=onepage&q=chickens hookworm&f=false

Gail Damerow's 'Chicken Health Handbook' lists 19 species of nematodes that infect chickens but there is no mention of hookworms.

Also, any chicken outside will test positive for coccidia because they pick them up all the time but usually they've become resistant.

Interesting. I read through this as well as another article stating chickens do not get hookworms. There are a lot of posts/articles about people treating their chickens for hookworms. I trust my vet....I've gone there my entire life and even worked in that clinic for 10 years. I've read more about coccidia and other parasites in the last 6 weeks than I ever wanted to. Thanks for sharing this with me.

yellow, foamy stools don't necessarily mean they are sick. it can be cecal poop. another thing might be as they grow fast their intestines stretch too much and get hurt (within 2-3 months chicken grows from egg to hen size). if they look healthy and have no other symptoms, just give them some vitamins.you can also give them some pumpkin seeds to worm them as you already treated them with chemicals.

I have never seen cecal poop look like this from my other chickens. :(

Pumpkin seeds will not remove worms from chickens.

They've had pumpkin seeds on top of the other treatments. Mostly because we had carved pumpkins for Halloween.
1f383.png

Pumpkin seeds will not remove worms from chickens.

I wormed my chickens with chemicals and they did not kill all the worms. then I gave them pumpkin seeds and found some dead worms. I believe that only pumpkin seeds will not kill them, but the chemicals either. therefore, after the chemical treatment I always give some pumpkin seeds as well.

Back
Top Bottom