Treating Wry Neck In Crested Duckling *EDITED TITLE*

Amiga, your saying the brown iodine is BAD right?
Brown iodine isn't bad it just doesn't work like the clear, I used the brown to treat a chicken with bumble and it just wasn't clearing up then I read this thread by haunted55 and got the clear it it 2X better and faster. Hope Qwackers recovers quickly.

Thanks Miss Lydia and Amiga. I got Qwackers to my house a little while ago and managed a 5 minutes soak in epsom salts and warm water. His feet are clean, and boy the bumble is BIG!. He was pretty stressed with the catching, ride home then the soak so I have him in a wire kennel in a quiet spot so he can calm down. I plan to do another soak this evening and try to get a picture. I spoke with a vet who said that she would use corn and callous remover for a large bumble. I bought some, along with gauze and wrap, but I want to do more research before I try it. I could not find clear iodine anywhere. The active ingredient is salicylic acid 17%, with alcohol and ether as non active.

Brown iodine isn't bad it just doesn't work like the clear, I used the brown to treat a chicken with bumble and it just wasn't clearing up then I read this thread by haunted55 and got the clear it it 2X better and faster. Hope Qwackers recovers quickly.
Miss Lydia, after a search I see you posted that you tried the corn remover. How did it end up doing? I REALLY want to avoid cutting his foot
barnie.gif

Miss Lydia, after a search I see you posted that you tried the corn remover. How did it end up doing? I REALLY want to avoid cutting his foot
barnie.gif
I did use the corn remover and it worked on a very small bumble, now i have not had to do much cutting thank goodness I did use the tweezers to pull out the plug once the bumble on my hen opened but all I had to do was pull off the scab after I had used the clear iodine for about a week every other day. The Epsom salt softens the bumble up and cleans the skin real good then the iodine actually pulls the bumble to the surface. Can you post a pic of Qwackers bumble.

If your going to use the corn remover I wouldn't wrap just keep soaking dry and put the corn remover on .I got clear iodine at Walmart and also CVS carries it.

Last edited:
Here is a picture. I feel SOOOO bad, it's huge! I spend time with him everyday cleaning up, feeding everyone, and supervising their free range time. He never showed any signs of a limp until yesterday.

That's a big bumble but I think you should still use the Epsom salt soaks dry and use the corn/callus or clear iodine on it soak , another reason I like the clear iodine is I can paint top and bottom and I don't have to worry about getting the iodine on non bumble skin like with the corn/callus remover. So soak dry and treat every other day for at least 3 times then post back with pics. after that you may be able to go every 3 days with treatments. This is how I used it with my hen. I used q tips to really get the iodine all over bumble top and bottom. Works alot better than that lil thing they put into the bottles. Keep him on clean shaving or towels till it heals. I've never had one that large so this is new territory to me, So far none of my water fowl have had bumble only a few of my chickens. I think it's best to try this approach before surgery, now if you have a vet willing to do the surgery and you feel that's the way you want to go then by all means do.

Last edited:
That's a big bumble but I think you should still use the Epsom salt soaks dry and use the corn/callus or clear iodine on it soak , another reason I like the clear iodine is I can paint top and bottom and I don't have to worry about getting the iodine on non bumble skin like with the corn/callus remover. So soak dry and treat every other day for at least 3 times then post back with pics. after that you may be able to go every 3 days with treatments. This is how I used it with my hen. I used q tips to really get the iodine all over bumble top and bottom. Works alot better than that lil thing they put into the bottles. Keep him on clean shaving or towels till it heals. I've never had one that large so this is new territory to me, So far non of my water fowl have had bumble on a few of my chickens. I think it's best to try this approach before surgery, now if you have a vet willing to do the surgery and you feel that's the way you want to go then by all means do.
Thanks Miss Lydia. I went to Walmart to try finding the clear iodine, but they didn't have it. I am going to go out looking again tomorrow. I have him in a wire dog crate in my family room with puppy pads for now, which seem to be working. He is stinky though! Tomorrow I am going to fix him a spot in my garage and will probably switch to shavings. Tomorrow I am going to catch his three girlfriends and do a feet check with them. That's going to be tough, they are MUCH faster than he is.

Thanks Miss Lydia. I went to Walmart to try finding the clear iodine, but they didn't have it. I am going to go out looking again tomorrow. I have him in a wire dog crate in my family room with puppy pads for now, which seem to be working. He is stinky though! Tomorrow I am going to fix him a spot in my garage and will probably switch to shavings. Tomorrow I am going to catch his three girlfriends and do a feet check with them. That's going to be tough, they are MUCH faster than he is.
Ask them if you haven't and if you have a CVS close by I found it there first because my closest Walmart is 25 miles away. but I am stocked up with it now. lol Try herding them one at a time into a corner or into their house, it's easier for me to actually get one into their house walking in behind them then catching.

Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom