Treats for chicks

tfalls3

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 12, 2014
Fern Park, Florida
What can I give 4wk old chicks as treats to help them stay cool? We had our last batch in the early spring so they were bigger by the time the nasty heat and humidity of Florida kicked in. We used to give chilled watermelon out of my garden and veggiecicles ( diced veg in big ice cubes) but with them being so little not sure what to give.
They are in the shade during the hottest parts of the day and have plenty of water, aren't showing signs of being hot but it's normally a heat index of well over 100. We freeze big hunks of ice and put it in the water and yesterday I made them a cold mix of water and their starter crumble and it was gone in no time.

you can still give them watermelon, frozen or not, they won't bite off more than they can swallow, so veggiecicles are fine too, other frozen fruit, yogurt, milk.
pretty much anything that big chickens can eat as long as the chicks can bite off pieces small enough to swallow.
other than that make sure their water never runs low, and that they have plenty of shade.

Back
Top Bottom