Treats for quail

Dani xxx

Songster
Oct 23, 2016
Farnham common bucks uk
Hey I have been trying to find out what my quail like but mine seem pretty picky I have tried spinach, lettuce, cucumber, apple, pear, porridge, yoghurt, carrot, kale, watercress so far all they like is mealworms and bird seed that I put in their sand bath everything else they leave any other ideas ?
the breeder gave them cooked rice so I thought the porridge would be ok but nope it just froze completely untouched

I think it's just a case of trial and error. Maybe some millet or dried crickets from pets@home?

I remember reading that you should try giving them certain things over and over until they get used to seeing the "new" thing and eventually try it out. It took my girls good week to actually try an apple and now it's gone within minutes of being put in.

Quail are strange! Especially when they peck at something wet, like a berry or banana hehe they seem to sometimes have to rub their beaks from the wetness even if they just look at it, hehe.

Some of my quail love treats, others treat it likes its snot to be feared xD

Corn nibs or on the cob, bananas, blueberries, rice, finch seed mix, scrambled eggs, my pet quail group goes insane at some things but my outdoor ones sometimes don't take to the food. I even gave them boiled fish :)

today was pomegranate for the first time - in my four hen pet group, one quail started inhaling them and two others kinda got into it but Golden Girl was interested but decided it wasn't food :p

They used to not like some things or have a tough time eating them so I squish the blueberries and stuff and try reintroducing it a few times.

Maybe if I give them a few bits of pomegranate tomorrow, Golden Girl will inhale them as well *shrugs* :)

Hi There! :)

I'm relatively new to raising Quail but my Coturnix love anything leafy and green and they all get very excited for Finch feed the one I feed them is a mixture of a bunch of things including: Canary Grass Seed, Rape Seed, Steel Cut Oats, Red Millet, Finch Millet, Flax Seed, Niger Seed, etc.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Joel.

tried bean sprouts yesterday, as soon as they see me with a bag of them, they start picking the fence and are lined up and waiting......
Can't take them off the darn things!!!
try it:)!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys spoil your quail! Mine get scrambled eggs, sprouted alfalfa, silverbeet/chard, and wheat fodder. I'll have to get a bit more creative.

Back
Top Bottom