Trimming chickens toe nails

I don't really know. It's mainly our silkie that has that problem; we have a frizzle bantam who has a few nails that just grow in any direction.

Has anyone tried trimming the chickens' nails with one of those pedi-paws? My house chicken's nails and beak are getting a bit long (she's a lazy girl and doesn't do anything to wear them down) and I have one of those pedi-paws for cat and dog nails that I haven't ever used, but thought it would be fairly gentle and only take off a little at a time. She's a Silkie, so being unable to see the quick is making me a bit nervous.

My son shows our chickens in the 4-H and its typical to trim the nails and beaks before showing birds. I've done it on all our chickens and it's not that hard. I've only had to use a tiny pair of cat nail clippers, and I try to only take off a small amount at a time.

You can usually see where the "extra" growth is, by looking for the part that appears more translucent. Be careful not to trim the darker area, since that's the "quick", where the blood is. If it does start to bleed, you should pack the nail (or beak) with "Kwik Stop" which is a styptic powder. In an emergency, you could also use baking powder or flour. (My brother just called me recently for advice, when this happened with his dog's nails, and the baking powder did the trick.)

Some people also use a nail file to smooth the nails and round off the spurs, and to shape the beak after trimming. I've noticed when my chickens nails seem to need a trim because they start to feel too sharp when we pick them up. I usually check the beaks at that time, and remove the very tips that have started to overhang, just to help the "jaws" fit together better. It seems to help them eat better because they can grab small pieces of food easier.

I guess it depends on how much work you want to put into the care of your chickens. My parents never trimmed our chickens growing up, and they lived just fine that way; mostly free ranging around the yard. Theoretically, they're supposed to keep their nails and beaks worn down themselves, by scratching and scraping their beaks. This might depend on how hard the ground or surface is where they eat, however.

Last edited:
Pathfinder thank you for sharing your info! One of my D'uccles needs her beak trimmed and now I know how!
big_smile.png
Thanks!

smile.png

My local chicken guru told me to put a few concrete paving slabs down where I feed. Luckily I had some lying around.
Anyway this wears the toenails down for them and makes it easier to sweep up too.
I have just put the slabs straight onto the grass with a little soil (from a molehill) underneath to make them level enough so they can't move and catch a toe.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
My pleasure.
smile.png

And also, in a real pinch, you can use cobwebs if you have nicked a quick and have no bloodstop handy. Not that I have any cobwebs in my barn, oh no.

wink.png

But they work pretty well, and you can usually just grab some up, smush them into a small ball, and stick them on the end of the bleeding toenail. Works a treat.

b.hromada :

Quote:
I think this is a great idea! I've been planning to get one of those things for my dogs! Sounds a lot easier than nail clippers. Thanks for the info.
thumbsup.gif

I do my silkies with the Pedi-Paws...​

Back
Top Bottom