Trouble with the neighbor.

too bad you weren't "wearing a wire"so you'd have his threat recorded. Gee hope his boat doesn't run out of gas in the middle of the ocean. If you have any "stink" eggs you could lob them over the fence - as a preumptive strike.

someone points a gun in my direction there gettin one pointed back, you have the right to protect yourself and personal property

So... this guy's belief is that no matter what the law on the books people should SHOOT and KILL any nuisance?

Does that include a human nuisance?

Just saying... snipe are tricky critters... never know when one might attach itself to your zipper and a 'good neighbor' would be kind enough to shoot it off.

Quote:
Yes, but when the lead starts flyin the cops come, and there is almost always arrests and lawyers involved EVEN IF YOU WERE IN THE RIGHT...gets expensive
If he's only using a pellet gun (and I'd know by the sound) then I'm probably just going to call 911 and tell them that I'm taking fire. Make a huge deal about it on the phone, maybe the'll get their butts in gear. The PD is about 5 blocks away and the sherrif's office is about 3-4 blocks away ON THE SAME STREET AS THE NEIGHBOR. (I have to laugh about that last fact)

such is the world we live in - it's a big legal hassle to defend yourself. Unfortunately I can't just SSS the neighbor

Don't we just hate this kind of stuff? This is what I think: He feels helpless and put upon because he can't legally do anything about your roosters making noise. He wants you to feel just as helpless so he made a threat (that he probably will never carry through). He wants you to care about how he feels. Don't expect help from law enforcement. A prosecutor would never do anything about this; too hard to prove. They will tell you its a civil matter, take him to civil court. So, the next move is yours - or not.

You can do something or do nothing. If you do nothing, the two of you will be even in his eyes; your roosters are bothering him and he has threatened (bothered) you. If he does actually shoot toward your house, he is an idiot and you will want to take action and the law will get involved. If you want to hinder him from the possibility of shooting at you, you might consider a taller, denser fence that he can't easily see (or hear) through.

All that said, this is what I'd probably do: First, switch your thinking from getting even to getting along. Take a dozen eggs and knock on his door. If a member of his family answers the door, ask for him. When he comes, tell him you are sorry that he was so upset. Tell him that you never intended for your pets (call them pets) to bother him or anyone else. Tell him what you are going to do about freezer camp or anything else that is true and hand him the eggs. Whatever happens, you take the high road. Don't appologize for your chickens, don't mention his threat to you, just SHOW HIM THAT YOU CARE ABOUT HOW HE FEELS. Period. That's really what he wants.

Many here will disagree with this approach. You can take what ever approach you choose. But if your goal is to end the conflict, this is what I would do.

noodleroo, you are right. I would do what you say, makes alot of sense. You must have a degree in psychology or should have. Especially since they are due to visit freezer camp, its a moot problem.

Quote:
No degree in psychology; I just work in the court system and see the trouble people get into by not communicating. I also have lots of experience in working with the general public...you know...the good, the bad, the crazy, the stingy...well, I could go on and on. The one thing that will bring out the bad behavior is a person feelling helpless and that no one cares about how 'they' feel. Just never let someone else' bad behavior cause you to behave badly.

Yeah noodleroo your approach may not be popular, but it is right.

Most would rather "get him back" and up the confrontation...not wise at all!
Instead of making an enemy with the neighbor, strive to tolerate each other.

spot

I like Noodleroo's approach and think it is indeed the best way to handle this potentially disastrous situation. HOWEVER, that being said, do you have a family lawyer? Or Legal Aid in your county? Have a strongly worded assessment of how you see this event put on legal letterhead and signed by a legal eagle. Have it sent certified mail with signature required for receipt.

This approach will document your concerns and exactly what happened in your own words. And he'll know you feel threatened because you got a shark involved.

DA-DUM, DA-DA-DA-DUM...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom