Trying to change the ordinance in Amsterdam (upstate), New York

kcny

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Hello everyone, new user here!

I've been looking into having hens in my back yard for a while now but my current City ordinance prohibits the keeping of any fowl (a Law enacted in 1991). After going back and forth between Departments it was finally decided that this is not a Zoning issue (where I could possible apply for a variance) and is instead solely based on the wording of the ordinance.

I have just spoken to my local Alderman who was very pleasant and happy to speak with me. I'll be meeting with him at City Hall this coming Monday to speak more at length and it is my hope that he brings a proposed change to the Council. I'd be happy with anything from a "trial period" to an all-out removal of the Law.

Things that are (in my opinion) in my favor are that there are numerous Towns/Cities surrounding me that do have various laws allowing chickens. There is also a Tractor Supply not 3 miles up the road from house that sells chicks and accessories. The Cornell Cooperative Extension also provides classes to our County local 4-H group on "the care and showing of farm animals".

Here is the relevant ordinance for those that are interested: http://ecode360.com/8067998

Wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes!

Just an update that I attended last nights Council meeting and gave a high-level overview of my request to change the ordinance. My local Alderman stated that he would endorse a proposed change and asked me to attend the main City Council meeting (I believe next week) and to be prepared to speak more at length.

This morning I saw that the Mayor had started a Facebook discussion concerning all of the issues brought up at last nights meeting, including my request. From reading the comments, it seems that some residents are both for and against my proposed change -- and the against crowd seems to be bringing up common myths.....

https://www.facebook.com/ann.m.thane/media_set?set=a.10203504911482837.1073741956.1215432202&type=1

Hi kcny! I am embarking on the same quest in my town (Cedarburg, WI) and am looking forward to following your journey!

Update: I attended the Common Council meeting last night and spoke for almost 1/2 hour. The Mayor, 5 Alderman, city counsel and both local newspapers were there! I felt they were all impressed with my level of research and presentation (I handed each of them a binder-clipped pamphlet with 25 pages of info). I spoke about reasons to have chickens, dispelled common myths, cited surrounding city laws that do allow chickens and proposed my version of a law that my city could pass. At the end I fielded a few good questions and had answers for them all. The only negative I got in the beginning is that the code enforcement indicated they were against a change to allow, citing the fact that they get numerous complaints that people keep chickens in their basement!?

The icing on the cake for me was picking up the paper today and opening the first page: Greeted to my picture along with an almost 1/2 page article about my request to the City! The article was well written and offered a lot of bullet points that I brought up.

As it stands now I will be working with the city counsel (a very nice gentleman who listened intently to my speech). Together we will properly write a proposed ordinance change and within thirty days it should go before a public meeting and get voted on by the council. I'll keep ya'll posted!

Excellent. Sounds like you have some level-headed individuals in your town. Amsterdam sounds pretty rural, and it kind of surprises me that there is an ordinance against raising chickens there! It sounds like you are well on your way to legalizing chicken ownership where you live! Great job, and thank you for sharing your success with BYC! Can't wait to see how this ends.

Great proposals, but I wouldn't limit it to 4 hens. They're kind of addictive, and although some people will disagree with this statement, there is little difference between having 4 and having 10, 15, 20. I go out in the morning to feed my chickens and collect eggs. I go out in the afternoon to collect eggs and check food and water. I go out in the evening to check for any late eggs and provide food or water if needed (also close up the chickens in the winter). My routine was the same with 5 hens as it is now with 15. Aside from a larger coop and buying larger feeders, the routine went on. However, I do see the reason to start small. 20 might sound overwhelming. 4 sounds about right.

On a second note, it is great to see that you are getting positive press. There are really an endless amount of reasons to raise chickens, some of which you brought, and the author really seemed to relate. You're doing great work, and it is awesome that Amsterdam will hopefully have chickens in the future!

Back
Top Bottom