Trying to Change Local Ordinance in Midwest, Wy! PLEASE HELP!!

smllattnspn21

Hatching
May 12, 2022
Hello,
Im attempting to change my local ordinance in a town of 290. I'm meeting some resistance from the mayor of our little town. The mayor in the town one mile over has approved chickens. Our mayor feels that our town is wanting no laws and regulations due to my inquiry about wanting chickens. I did a pole and over 100 people responded and there were over 200 comments regarding chickens. I will address the council next week. I have a letter prepared with several attachments asking the council to change the current municipal ordinance. I am not too sure of the process. The mayor is wanting to hold a special election and have the town vote on it thus effectively delaying peoples ability to get chickens. Im not sure if a petition is needed before this meeting or after this meeting. I have used several resources from this site already as well as other people's letters and petitions. I'm also looking for a trifold brochure to present with a petition when I go door to door asking for signatures. Does anyone have any other reccomendations?

General Advice. Be prepared with a copy of the new ordinance, next town over. If you can find any media reports of how its been recieved, good AND bad, come with those too. Reach out to your local extension office, see if they have an expert they'd be willing to lend.

Idle musings

Search this forum for people who recently successfully changed their ordinances, reach out and ask them too.

Back
Top Bottom