Looking for advice

No worries there, it is already a future plan. I don't want to start building and buying until it can be resolved and allowed legally. There's apparently plenty of clandestine chicken owners around, but I don't want to go that route. I'm trying to keep up my faith in human-goodness and just get a little reform to the ordinances so that all the local chicken-keepers can be happy and secure. 🤷‍♀️

It really surprises me that they don't allow any at all! I'm in Oregon in a city, on a small parcel, less than a .25 of an acre and I'm allowed up to 6 chicken or ducks. I can't have any in the front yard, and they have to have a house/coop and run. They can "free range" as long as your yard is fully fenced and there is supervision.

I feel like sometimes rules are annoying, but I would rather have restrictions and allowed them, then plain ole saying "No"

Maybe you can use my rules at the meeting. I can send you the rule PDF for out town, maybe just cut off the name of the town when you show them and just use it as an example :idunno

Yeah, I've wondered about the ethics of that myself. :hmm

I believe it should be freely and publicly available. I've decided that if and when I do buy a copy, you better believe there will be a digital copy floating around shortly thereafter.

When we were there, I asked why there wasn't a digital copy, but was shrugged off and told there's just so much to do that they haven't gotten to it.

This really isn't "small town tyranny" at ay. It is UN "world climate control" being implemented locally. That is the way they are going about all their goals. The UN looks down on all livestock. Even small backyard chicken flocks. Just go to the united nations website and read their goals. It's worded beautifully! But you must ask "how is this implemented?" What does this look like in real world circumstances?" Or, better yet, read the book "Behind the green mask". All across the world, there are regulations being i.eme Ted that is giving the government more and more control over food and water. All in the name of saving the planet. But they refuse to make REAL CHANGES, that would REAL DIFFERENCE! So I have a hard rime believing that their real motivation is to save the planet.

If you are planning on staying in that area, I suggest getting together with like minded individuals, and take over the local government there. It is the only way we are going to save our freedoms. Cause as of now, it won't be long, before they control our every move. And fresh veggies, and eggs, and meat, will be a myth of days long gone. Just look up lab grown meats, bug buggers, card board bread, and how dangerous it is to have a garden or to collect eggs, or harvest your own meat. They are even going after the ammish! Nothing is sacred anymore. Good luck! I know I LOVE my birds. And can't imagine life without them. Everyone who wants them, deserves to have that experience. Especially when the news is calling for food shortages!

I would have insisted at looking up the ordinances myself and not listen to a worker for town hall. I've never heard of needing 3 acres for chickens anywhere and would be talking to local chicken farmers, Agriculture and others like that not town hall. Maybe livestock requires 3 acres like cows and horses.

@solywe you ever able to find out of you are allow?
I've gotten pretty good at looking at ordinances. If you need help, please let me know!

Sadly, moving is much more easily said than done. Trust me, right about now I'd be thrilled to scamper off, but it's just not in the cards. 🥲

Edited to add:
I'm preparing some pro-chicken arguments in case I can find a willing ear that will hear me out. I'm hoping they aren't all jerks on the council.
Since you need to keep your chickens in a run, how about bantams? Do they count as chickens? Seems to me some of the smaller breeds would fall under the pigeon category.
Or how about quail? They give you edible eggs and certainly aren't chickens?

Back
Top Bottom