Looking for advice

I had set this aside for the past little while because I was a bit overwhelmed with deciding how to proceed. I live at the end of a sparsely populated road, where all my neighbors keep telling me to just get a few chickens and stop stressing over it. I feel like I'm already on the radar now, so I dunno.

I did talk to a friend that has several chickens, and he was talking about getting several more. He said if I wanted to buy a chicken or two to mix into his flock, I could have their eggs and pretty much sponsor them, or chicken-share them, LOL. I might do that until I can get another resolution otherwise. Then I'd just bring my girls home.

Having problematic anxiety issues makes it hard for me to muster the guts to approach a council meeting, especially alone and being "an outsider", instead of one of the good ol' boys (girls) who's related to this one and dated that one in high school.

🤷‍♀️

I do like the idea of my chickens identifying as golden retrievers, or collies in my case. 🤣

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the forums and still a bit shy, so go easy on me. Today I'm looking for some advice:

I do not currently have chickens. I want to change that in the future, but there's a couple road blocks in the way. The newest and most frustrating is the local ordinances, which are not freely available but you can hop on down to town hall and purchase your copy for only $10. -_-

I just found out that our little house with an acre in the country, which we purchased last year, is in fact within "city" limits. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised (as was my neighbor who's lived here for years) and decided to make sure they didn't have any odd limitations before going ahead with chickens. Not having free access to the ordinances, I called up town hall and was told all livestock must have 3+ acres, that includes chickens.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be? I would also like to point out that the next real city over (Dothan) is a handful of miles away and they allow chickens, yet here in the middle of agriculture, we can't have a small enclosed flock on less than 3 acres. I find it pretty silly, but am open to other logic.

I've been told by all my neighbors to get chickens anyway, but that doesn't sit right with me. What are the chances it would be worthwhile to speak with someone at town hall in person to double check the information was correct and to possibly discuss options?

Are there any residents around the Dothan area with experience dealing with the local small town politicians? :hmm:confused:
So, firstly if your chickens are not a public health threat (chickens and humans have lived side by side for thousands of years), ordinances (codes) are not law, Peterson v. Peterson, USC. Your Township and supervisors and complaining neighbor may be working in concert to deny, suppress or infringe and violate your civil Rights to enjoy your private property and raise your own food. They must also follow due process (in their kangaroo court). The code enforcer may be be required to have an Oath of Office.
Consult a civil rights attorney and send all parties a Lawful Notification regarding a Title 42 Section 1983-85 civil Rights action for any Rights infringement to deny and suppress your freedoms and liberties for your protected rights under US and state constitutions. Also besides putting THEM on notice, require proof of Oaths of Office (an oath swearing to uohold your protected Rights), as that is Law. If they do not have those sworn. Signed and filed, they are impersonating a public official. They love handing out citations but run from federal court summons:)
My Township Supervisors resigned before we were done suing them in court, along with the solicitors, and code enforcers. My brother is a lawyer, so that helped. :)
P.S. The fight is not for the faint of heart, but well worth your freedom. I now do not require any silly permits to occupy, improve or do anything on my private property that has No Tresspassing signs.

A lot of times city codes and such are a don’t ask/don’t tell situation. I think it’s your anxiety. I’d be careful talking about it too much or your neighbors might get their chickens taken away by someone in code enforcement that is anti-chicken.

An example- legally, I’m supposed to have a dog and cat license. In my old town this was a big deal and if you didn’t fill out the right paperwork every year, they’d fine you $100. Even if your pet died- you had to notify them.

Where I live now has the same language in the city code, but no one enforces it so no one licenses their cat or dog. City hall might laugh if you tried. I doubt anyone has asked for the paperwork in years. It’s still on the books as a law.

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to the forums and still a bit shy, so go easy on me. Today I'm looking for some advice:

I do not currently have chickens. I want to change that in the future, but there's a couple road blocks in the way. The newest and most frustrating is the local ordinances, which are not freely available but you can hop on down to town hall and purchase your copy for only $10. -_-

I just found out that our little house with an acre in the country, which we purchased last year, is in fact within "city" limits. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised (as was my neighbor who's lived here for years) and decided to make sure they didn't have any odd limitations before going ahead with chickens. Not having free access to the ordinances, I called up town hall and was told all livestock must have 3+ acres, that includes chickens.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this might be? I would also like to point out that the next real city over (Dothan) is a handful of miles away and they allow chickens, yet here in the middle of agriculture, we can't have a small enclosed flock on less than 3 acres. I find it pretty silly, but am open to other logic.

I've been told by all my neighbors to get chickens anyway, but that doesn't sit right with me. What are the chances it would be worthwhile to speak with someone at town hall in person to double check the information was correct and to possibly discuss options?

Are there any residents around the Dothan area with experience dealing with the local small town politicians? :hmm:confused:
That is crazy to me to.. I just don't understand it. Our township doesn't allow a single chicken on anything less than 5 acres. Noone can seem to explain a reason for this over at town hall. I guess it's basically just a way to make sure noone has chickens.

Back
Top Bottom