TSC taking my name and number just for buying chicks?

Luvmykiddos

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
Is this normal? Why would TSC want my name and number just for buying chicks? Are they going to sell my name now? I've read some places that our local government might be "requesting" it, but for what and why?

If it's for their own personal reasons as a business, I don't mind, but it just struck me as very odd.

Anyone have any idea why they did that?

Yes, I believe its due to bird diseases... if someone calls and says "My flock has XYZ..." they want to be able to call everyone who might have chciks that were exposed and let them know. Also, its probably "The Man" keeping track of flocks, because there are always those Conspiracy Theories about the govt making backyard chickening illegal....

I can possibly see the bird diseases issue, but even then, a simple phone number would have been sufficient. I'm not convinced that would be the full reason.

Next time, I'll look up the local morgue address and give that to them!
lol.png

Thanks for responding! Maybe I'll give the corporate office a call tomorrow and just ask.

It is a marketing ploy!! I refuse. None of their business.just my way of rebelling............I had a cashier tell me that I couldn't buy anything then. I said ok and walked out!

Good for you! :) If my children weren't the ones who picked out their little chickies and already had their hearts set on them, I probably would have, too!

You could just politely tell them you'd rather not give that information.
There's no need to lie about it.

Of course then , if they find all the chicks were exposed to some disease, you won't be getting a call, but that's your right

Did you pay by credit card or check? That would be a reason. Other than that I wouldn't even be polite about it. As others have pointed out, you're the one buying. They're ones selling.

Of course, you could ask why they want to know.

Last edited:
We can speculate all we want. They know why they ask and we don't. It could be anything from them wanting you on their mailing list to your local government requiring it for whatever reason. Some local governments put restrictions on selling chicks becaause of the problem, especially around Easter, of people buying chicks for little kids as presents and the chick sdying a horrible death from neglect. But all we can do is speculate. I would not be real happy about giving out my addresss and number either.

When I buy things form TSC, they want my zip code, which is no big deal. But if the clerk is a lady, I show her my wedding ring and tell her she can't have my phone number. I know, they could probably get me for sexual harrassment.

Back
Top Bottom