TULSA area Cluckers

Rinda-do you still have some honey? If someone were interested in going into the bee business how would someone go about that? Not sure I really want to but just curious.
frow.gif

I`m following these nice folks on Facebook, Little Creek Bee Ranch.

https://www.facebook.com/LittleCreekBeeRanch

I`m following these nice folks on Facebook, Little Creek Bee Ranch.

https://www.facebook.com/LittleCreekBeeRanch

Yes, he is great. He teaches classes every spring, last year it was on non-chemical beekeeping I really enjoyed it. Using natural cycles and essential oils to repel bee pests instead of having to treat your hives. They are great I think it was $40 per class.

As far as getting started, most people sell the bees only (usually $110-150), on a frame exchange system, unless you negotiate to buy some of their old equipment as well or buy a full-size hive (about $400). Also I would not buy a hive right now unless it was a steal of a deal, you might not have the experience to nurse it through the winter if it is small. Spring is the ideal time. We do sell bees and hives from time to time, I can check with Lonny if you want to see if we have any hives available right now.

If I were you, I would spend all winter reading and learning and making contacts. Then get bees in the spring. You can attend a few of the local beekeepers association meetings for free, if you want a membership it is cheap like $20 per family per year. Those old timers there know everything you need to know. They meet once per month. I can look up the info if you are interested.

This is hands down our FAVORITE website for learning everything you need to know about bees: http://basicbeekeeping.blogspot.com/

It is really a fun hobby, I was nervous at first as well, and though I do not work the bee handling myself I think I definitely could if needed now (usually I'm keeping the kids out of the way). I do handle most of the honey processing, equipment building, and much of the queen grafting. Our 7 year old can't wait for us to get him his own beesuit so he can help daddy work the hives!

Yes we have honey, we never managed to get to a farmer's market this summer as we were busy learning about chickens! So we have surplus this year, doing a special $55 per gallon (four quart jars), $15.50 per quart and $8 per pint. Get with friends and neighbors to get the gallon price, they will thank you! We try to time it so our honey is gone by Christmas and we can start next year with all fresh honey.

Rinda

good info. I am not sure I want to take the step of being responsible for the whole beekeeping part. I was thinking it would be nice to have one out by my garden. Like a bee lease. Someone else is responsible for the upkeep but I get the use of the bees for pollination.
tongue.png
I am going to be in Tulsa tomorrow and would love to buy some honey. It would be tomorrow afternoon sometime. PM me with your info if you are available. Probably just a quart unless I can talk MIL and SIL into going in with me on the gallon.

Sure thing, I will PM you. The funny thing is most people ask how much our honey is, buy a pint, and the next time they come back they want quarts and gallons!
wink.png
Seriously I have one lady that got 1 gallon last summer, she just messaged me on facebook that she wants FOUR gallons this year!
lau.gif
Fresh honey has NOTHING on store honey!

The bee lease thing is possible if you have a decent floral area. We have a beeyard at home and also beeyards on leases, one in Catoosa, one in Broken Arrow, and one in Shawnee. Payment is jarred honey based on how many boxes of honey we take from their land. Don't know that we are interested in any more yards at the moment but you could go to the bee association and ask around! Where exactly are you?

Rinda

Sure thing, I will PM you. The funny thing is most people ask how much our honey is, buy a pint, and the next time they come back they want quarts and gallons!
wink.png
Seriously I have one lady that got 1 gallon last summer, she just messaged me on facebook that she wants FOUR gallons this year!
lau.gif
Fresh honey has NOTHING on store honey!

The bee lease thing is possible if you have a decent floral area. We have a beeyard at home and also beeyards on leases, one in Catoosa, one in Broken Arrow, and one in Shawnee. Payment is jarred honey based on how many boxes of honey we take from their land. Don't know that we are interested in any more yards at the moment but you could go to the bee association and ask around! Where exactly are you?

Rinda

Well I really thought I had an original idea.
wink.png
We are a little west of Oologah on about 5 acres. Not sure what decent floral area is but pretty sure my long term plans for garden, fruit trees, and berries plus all the flowery stuff would make a pretty decent area for a colony to cover. Keep me in mind for future expansions. I know nothing about bee keeping but would love the benefits. Got the PM and text. I will let you know when to expect me. I was thinking about the zoo as well but decided it was not worth fighting the crowd that will be there due to fall break.

For most beekeepers "decent floral area" means a significant amount of nectar-intensive plants or trees, such as alfalfa, clover, black locust trees, etc. I'm talking acres and acres of it. For example, to get "apple honey" you need about 10 acres of apple trees. But that is a whole different discussion because single-source pollen is harder on your bees. To put less than 20 hives in a single spot is usually not worth their time for just regular gardens and yards unless it is super convenient for them (like the ones in our backyard).

Honestly beehives are as much or as little work as you want- if you just love getting into the hive and watching and learning all the inner workings, fine, you can open your hive once a week if you want. Be warned if you open your hive THAT frequently it will reduce the amount of honey they will make for you because it disturbs the colony. If you want to check it minimally, 3-4 times per year is all you HAVE to do. One of those times will be honey collection. Another thing we have learned is it is much easier to keep 2-3 hives than just one. Number one reason especially for newbies, is you can compare one hive to another when you don't really know if what they are doing is normal. Number two, say one of your hives dies out (we get about 20% dieout each winter), you can repopulate it from another hive instead of having to go find someone to sell you bees. Things for you to think about.

Rinda

For most beekeepers "decent floral area" means a significant amount of nectar-intensive plants or trees, such as alfalfa, clover, black locust trees, etc. I'm talking acres and acres of it. For example, to get "apple honey" you need about 10 acres of apple trees. But that is a whole different discussion because single-source pollen is harder on your bees. To put less than 20 hives in a single spot is usually not worth their time for just regular gardens and yards unless it is super convenient for them (like the ones in our backyard).

Honestly beehives are as much or as little work as you want- if you just love getting into the hive and watching and learning all the inner workings, fine, you can open your hive once a week if you want. Be warned if you open your hive THAT frequently it will reduce the amount of honey they will make for you because it disturbs the colony. If you want to check it minimally, 3-4 times per year is all you HAVE to do. One of those times will be honey collection. Another thing we have learned is it is much easier to keep 2-3 hives than just one. Number one reason especially for newbies, is you can compare one hive to another when you don't really know if what they are doing is normal. Number two, say one of your hives dies out (we get about 20% dieout each winter), you can repopulate it from another hive instead of having to go find someone to sell you bees. Things for you to think about.

Rinda

I think i will stick with chickens and leave bees to the experts.
wink.png

Anyone have any pol Pullets? A dog or something got into my yard and killed every chicken I have. It's pretty awful over here this morning.

Back
Top Bottom