Tumor or abscess? *****Update*****

Took Iris to the vet at 5:00 and Dr. B put a needle to it to see if he could withdraw any fluid. It was very solid. He then tried to open it with a scalpel to see if it could be squeezed out. Nope! He said he would have to cut it off and asked me if I wanted to watch. I stayed an watched. They put her under and he carefully cut it off her neck. He got the whole thing off and carefully stitched her up. ( he even added some "glue" to ensure it stays shut) Seems it was a cyst that birds get and it isn't cancerous. She is in the "hospital" in our living room and will stay there for a week. He did not bandage it up as he said it just needs fresh air. He also has her on Baytril for 10 days. She is very groggy right now and we shall see how she is tomorrow.

Here is the cyst when cut in half. The dark blob of blood is where her feather was in the pic from yesterday.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

She seems to be on the mend. Her incision looks good today. No swelling or redness. She had a good appetite and even wanted to go outside and not sleep all day like she was. ( I let her run around this morning for a while before she had to back to her "hospital room" as I had to get to work)She had more energy than she has had in the past couple weeks. She is getting her feisty back!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

She seems to be on the mend. Her incision looks good today. No swelling or redness. She had a good appetite and even wanted to go outside and not sleep all day like she was. ( I let her run around this morning for a while before she had to back to her "hospital room" as I had to get to work)She had more energy than she has had in the past couple weeks. She is getting her feisty back!

I know this is very old thread but I think one of my chickens has this. How did yours do?

Oh dear.. poor darling. Not fun to see our birds with such problems.

I also noticed a huge boil on my muscovy's head today. Problem is, she is on a huge clutch of eggs and I do not know what I should do. If I bring her inside the house to lance the boil, will she return to her nest or will she abandon them?

I really want to clean out the small cabin but I realize I cannot until the eggs hatch. Her nest is huge.

What can I do?

Hi, I offered my thoughts over on the Duck Forum. So much of it is up to her, really.
hugs.gif

Took Iris to the vet at 5:00 and Dr. B put a needle to it to see if he could withdraw any fluid. It was very solid. He then tried to open it with a scalpel to see if it could be squeezed out. Nope! He said he would have to cut it off and asked me if I wanted to watch. I stayed an watched. They put her under and he carefully cut it off her neck. He got the whole thing off and carefully stitched her up. ( he even added some "glue" to ensure it stays shut) Seems it was a cyst that birds get and it isn't cancerous. She is in the "hospital" in our living room and will stay there for a week. He did not bandage it up as he said it just needs fresh air. He also has her on Baytril for 10 days. She is very groggy right now and we shall see how she is tomorrow. Here is the cyst when cut in half. The dark blob of blood is where her feather was in the pic from yesterday.

I have a 9 week SILKIE that has a cyst inside on the right side of her throat. This is the only post I have found about cysts. Anyone have any ideas what this could be? The cyst is around 8 mm, solid, and attached to the fat. I am new to chickies, but do know it is NOT the crop. Thanks to anyone for help. She is not ill.

Back
Top Bottom