Turkenstein25's Turkey Talk for 2015

Well have some good and bad news on my broodies.

Had a chocolate hen setting on 6 eggs should have hatched this weekend. Went out this morning nest was just shells and feathers so predator got nest and the hen. 2nd lost broody of the year.

Good news went past my blue slate broodies and there were 3 little fuzzy butts that had crawled out from under momma. She gave a call and all went back under her. She and another hen were setting on 18 eggs.

My first hen brooded poults ever.

Well have some good and bad news on my broodies.

Had a chocolate hen setting on 6 eggs should have hatched this weekend. Went out this morning nest was just shells and feathers so predator got nest and the hen. 2nd lost broody of the year.

Good news went past my blue slate broodies and there were 3 little fuzzy butts that had crawled out from under momma. She gave a call and all went back under her. She and another hen were setting on 18 eggs.

My first hen brooded poults ever.

That's a shame about your broody, I always worry about the ones that make their nest outside the barn. My bantam hen is hatching guineas, 4 have hatched and are zipping all around the place while the hen is still trying to hatch the last few eggs. We will see if she can get them in line and under control.

Your welcome
smile.png

Hi everyone,
New to BYC today. Been lurking a while before joining though!
We received our order of poults from Porter's today.
Two were DOA and my husband said one looks bad. So might lose that one, too, maybe more, we'll see!
We got Bourbon Reds, Narragansetts, Black, Slate and Royal Palm. We're all really excited about having heritage breeds. We've raised Broad Breasted Whites & Bronzes in the past many years for meat, and that has been very successful for us. My hubby built moveable coops/pens for the meat turkeys and meat chickens last year and moves them around our pasture all summer. We had great results with this and no predator problems. Meat tasted great and was really inexpensive to raise this way. We're hoping for great results with the heritage breeds, too. A couple of my kids want to show them in our county fair for 4-H, so they are going to be very excited that their poults came today. (They paid for the poults themselves!!)

Looking forward to hanging around and learning a lot!
Angela

Hi Angela, Welcome to
welcome-byc.gif

As for you poults do you have some electrolites you could mix in their water? That should help the a lot. If not you can pic it up at any feed store or Tractor Supply.

You picked some very nice turkey breeds. That is wonderful that the kids paid for them and want to do the 4-H club.

Back
Top Bottom