Turkenstein25's Turkey Talk for 2015

What do you feed your turkey poults?

I paid 8 dollars for 5lbs of gamebird starter, but, cannot find larger quantities, and wonder if there are better alternatives. I don't want to spend a fortune feeding the turkeys if there is a cheaper but still good alternative. I want them to be in the best condition they can be, so, I'm not trying to cut corners to save money, but, want to make sure I haven't overlooked a more affordable alternative.

Are there homemade versions?
I buy 50 lb. bags at either the Farmers Co-Op or at Tractor Supply.

I use purina gamebird and turkey startena. It's a 30% protein and it's between 18 and 20 bucks for 50 lbs. Have had good luck with it.

I think we pay 16.99 but different area's have different prices.
Oh, that sounds really good, hoping it's not far off from that here. I put a call in to our Tractor Supply, and she had a hard time figuring out what I wanted, and then didn't have anything, which I already knew. She is putting a call into her Purina supplier, so, we'll see what she comes up with. Have you ever heard of Ranchway feeds? They sell 50lbs of organic gamebird start and grow with shipping would cost 59.06, and if I keep buying the 5lb bags that will run me 72 dollars for the same amount.

Still hatching...beginning to wonder if I should brood the last 7...or keep doing what I've been doing...introducing them as they hatch and dry out...it's working so far...but now I've got poults that are a week to one day old...#11 hatched this morning...#12 will come along some time today, leaving 5 more eggs to hatch...I just may brood the last 5 and put them on craigslist right away...Ranch and home and farmers exchange were selling poults for $8, nargensettes I think, one of the online hatcheries were selling them (chocolates) for 14.99... Sell 5 @$10 a piece and use the money to buy food for the other 13... Any thoughts?

Last edited:
. I put a call in to our Tractor Supply, and she had a hard time figuring out what I wanted, and then didn't have anything, which I already knew. She is putting a call into her Purina supplier, so, we'll see what she comes up with.
Maybe this will work for your TSC: http://www.tractorsupply.com/conten..._-GLOBAL-_-Store_Event_Free_UPS_Ship_To_Store

One time I wanted something from on line, and they said they could get it for me, but it would take a few days or so. So I know they have options.

This is what I feed my poults, but my TSC carries it in their store. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/dumorreg;-chick-starter-24%-50-lb

Ranchway makes excellent feeds. I use their turkey game bird starter that is 28% protein. It is not the organic variety and runs me a little less than $20 for a 50 lb. sack.
Great. That's about the same plus shipping for organic, so, In the end it will save me money overall.

Back
Top Bottom