Turkey feed for chicks?

cluckcluck42

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Quebec
Just curious, I am almost out of chick starter and we have a bag of duck food (18%) and turkey food. Neither are medicated. Would it be okay to feed either of these to the chicks?? I'll probably go get some more chick feed tonight, just curious.

Thanks
smile.png

Is there any reason not to use it for chicks 24/7? Or is chick starter specially formulated for chicks? Just wondering if there is a difference.

I actually start my chicks on the Non-Medicated turkey grower which is 22% crumbles. When they're older (about 8 weeks) they go to the turkey pellets which is 20% for the rest of their lives. I feed oyster shell on the side for their calcium needs. I have heavier birds (and some lighter ones) and I don't feel the low protein (16%) in the layer is sufficient. I also think the higher protein is better for the chicks and hens. I feel my chicks and hens look great due to the protein and are healthier.

Some turkey and gamebird feeds are really high in protein, as much as 30%. You can feed it to chicks for a while, but after about 2 months the protein should not be over 20% due to the rapid growth causing bone and joint problems. Be carefull about those high protein feeds. Personally, I limit my feed protein to 14-16%. I`m much more interrested in good solid bone health than rapid growth. Oriental birds, such as mine, were developed on a low protien diet, such as rice. If they grow to fast, they experience the same malfunctions as broilers. Your breeds may not have those tendancies, but why chance it..........Pop

Back
Top Bottom