turkey feeds

dpops853

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 29, 2011
Being a newcomer to having turkeys. I was concerned about what types of feed to give turkeys in the colder months. Can you give me some advice on this . Thanks dpops853.

Everyone has a different opinion on this. Are you raising broad-breasted turkeys or heritage breeds? I only have experience with heritage breeds, so my advice is limited.

The main thing to keep in mind is that turkeys have higher protein needs than chickens do. The general rule I have been told is that poults should be given 28% protein and young adults should be given 20% protein.

However, I don't follow that advice. I feed a general-purpose 17% flock-raiser pellet (I'm sure someone will scold me for this) and I supplement the diet with lots of high-protein treats. The turkeys' favorite are any type of aphid-infested brassicas - the more aphids the better. I also keep the birds on good pasture, where they can chase down their own dinner, like clover and bugs. They also get generous scoops of whole wheat berries, which I broadcast across their pasture. It keeps them busy pecking and scratching for all the grains, and they don't waste much. Sometimes, in the winter, or with rapidly-growing young adults, I give the birds a few scoops of dog food. It is high in both protein and fat. Maybe I've been lucky, but our birds thrive like that. They dress out without all the extra fat in the body cavity that we used to get, before we gave them such a big pasture and back when we were feeding more corn.

Thanks for the info. i have just 3 royal palms 2hens and young gobbler. So far i'm enjoying them but have a lot to learn, hopefully both turkey and myself will survive until i gain the knowledge needed. dpops 853

I feed the same all year round--- except the birds get more greens in the summer. Not much growing here in the winter.

I watch their weight and keep their weight up where it should be. They need good body condition more than they need different food in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom