Turkey kicked out of the flock!

Lillyanna

Chirping
May 3, 2015
South Jersey
We have 14 turkey, mostly toms, all raised together for several months now. Yesterday, we noticed one of the hens getting picked on by most of the flock. She was bleeding in several spots on her head. We removed her from the hoop house and put her in a large secured run for the night and most of today. All the blood was observed to be gone and she was reintroduced to the flock, but was attacked again. We removed her again and she just is pacing around in the pasture looking stressed. Anyone have any ideas?

Was everyone attacking her? Sounds like a hen fight. They can go on for days. Turkeys need lots of room to get away during disputes. The fighting will go on until it's settled or someone is dead. My losing hens usually end up hiding in the shed on the roosts for a few days to weeks depending on the dynamics.

Recommendations are often a how many animals can I cram in area type thing. Most expect animals to be butchered or aggression controlled by debeaking.

Raising animals for slaughter is different than raising animals sustainably. That article is talking about raising for meat.

Your birds are about 7 months old and are sexually maturing. Give them more room or butcher them or else birds will kill each other. Turkeys are relentless during fights. They will kill each other, the whole flock will participate as you have seen.

Recommendations are often a how many animals can I cram in area type thing. Most expect animals to be butchered or aggression controlled by debeaking.

Raising animals for slaughter is different than raising animals sustainably. That article is talking about raising for meat.

Your birds are about 7 months old and are sexually maturing. Give them more room or butcher them or else birds will kill each other. Turkeys are relentless during fights. They will kill each other, the whole flock will participate as you have seen.
Can I ask you one more question? We have 5 acres with a 4' no climb fence around it. The turkeys are heritage breeds and currently kept in a 10x16 hoop house. If I was to let them out of the hoop house, do you think they will take off? The one that has been loose has stayed in the area for the last several nights and is starting to hang with our chickens. I know they can fly not like broad breasted but not sure if they will stay or go, and I do not want them to fly away! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom