Turkey killed chickens

SJUDD

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Central Coast, California
Hi. I have my turkeys and chickens in the same run. One of my chickens hatched out 4 eggs and everything has been fine for the last three weeks. All of the sudden my turkey hen killed two of the chicks in about 10 minutes. Is this normal? Should I not have my turkeys in the same run?
Thank you

Hi. I have my turkeys and chickens in the same run. One of my chickens hatched out 4 eggs and everything has been fine for the last three weeks. All of the sudden my turkey hen killed two of the chicks in about 10 minutes. Is this normal? Should I not have my turkeys in the same run?
Thank you
This is one of the reasons why some people very strongly recommend not keeping turkeys and chickens together. I had a turkey hen that killed anything small from mice to songbirds. I also had a turkey hen that would kill poults that were not her own. I have known chickens that would do the same.

If you want to keep your turkeys and chickens together then you need to keep the chicks separate until they are an age that they can get away from the turkey. I do not let chicks or poults into the general population until they are old enough to take care of themselves.

I for sure wouldn't keep turkeys with the chickens, especially if they have chicks. I had a hen hatch and raise wild turkey babies, they did fine, but I also turned them loose when they were about half grown. I have had 2 adult tom turkey's in my yard fighting to the death my favorite rooster. I did intervene on that and barely saved my rooster. He was dead set on keeping them from his hens. One Rooster fighting 2 Tom turkeys. That was wild. My best to you.

My husband wants to butcher the turkey hen but then my Tom would be lonely. I have had him since he hatched and he is a complete sweetheart. I am looking for other hens for him and hopefully will find a couple soon. He isn't really attached to that particular hen, as she flies out and roams the property and he is too big to fly out of the coop/run. I think I am going to have to convince the hubs to build another coop and run just for the turkeys. Thanks, you guys! I appreciate the advice.

I separate new chicks (and the mother, if the hen hatched them and I didn't with the incubator) for a little bit until everyone is older. I have recently had turkeys with my chickens and have not run into any issues yet, but mine aren't quite full grown yet. I have had issues with my other chickens in the past bullying new babies, however. I don't think it's so much of a turkey problem as a particular bird issue. I would definitely keep that particular hen out if you can until you can get rid of her somehow. Building a new coop/run would definitely solve the issue too though, if you want to be extra safe. So sorry to hear that you lost some chicks. :(

I separate new chicks (and the mother, if the hen hatched them and I didn't with the incubator) for a little bit until everyone is older. I have recently had turkeys with my chickens and have not run into any issues yet, but mine aren't quite full grown yet. I have had issues with my other chickens in the past bullying new babies, however. I don't think it's so much of a turkey problem as a particular bird issue. I would definitely keep that particular hen out if you can until you can get rid of her somehow. Building a new coop/run would definitely solve the issue too though, if you want to be extra safe. So sorry to hear that you lost some chicks. :(
Thank you. It was hard to see. I never knew Turkeys would do that. She mostly stays out of the run, lately. A peacock showed up on our property a couple months ago and she has been climbing the fence to hang out with him. She has laid a nice clutch of eggs under one of the bushes on the property but she is only a year old and only sat on them for about a week and then wandered off again. I am thinking I will ask Hubs if we can build a separate coop for the turkeys and I will keep him in there. I am picking him up a Royal Palm hen after work today and I have two Broad Breasted that I purchased for butchering... one of them is very interested in him so I might keep her and only butcher one of them. I might not feel as bad about him butchering the murderess if Turk has a couple girls for himself. I just don't want him to be lonely. He is the biggest sweetheart and the only reason I bought hens at all was to keep him company

Thank you
YES... You should not keep turkey and chicken together. it is better if you arrange separate accommodation from them. Thanks

This is one of the reasons why some people very strongly recommend not keeping turkeys and chickens together. I had a turkey hen that killed anything small from mice to songbirds. I also had a turkey hen that would kill poults that were not her own. I have known chickens that would do the same.

If you want to keep your turkeys and chickens together then you need to keep the chicks separate until they are an age that they can get away from the turkey. I do not let chicks or poults into the general population until they are old enough to take care of themselves.
I agree with you. You share very useful information. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom