Turkey killed chickens

So it will not a problem ... thanks for sharing your thought.
Each situation is different. Just because some of us keep our turkeys and chickens together does not mean it will work out for everyone. There are many that have had issues between turkeys and chickens.

If you try to keep them together in the small areas that people think are fine for chickens, there will be problems. Turkeys require a vastly larger amount of space than do chickens.

So it will not a problem ... thanks for sharing your thought.

Just make sure they're either free range, or they have a pretty big walk in coop. We have all of ours in a big walk in coop that we plan to extend even further, we've never had any issues so far.

Ps. We do incubate our eggs, and raise the babies up to teens / adults before we begin to slowly introduce them to the coop first. We never put baby chicks in the coop.

Last edited:
Hi. I have my turkeys and chickens in the same run. One of my chickens hatched out 4 eggs and everything has been fine for the last three weeks. All of the sudden my turkey hen killed two of the chicks in about 10 minutes. Is this normal? Should I not have my turkeys in the same run?
Thank you
Today I just happened to glance out my window in time to catch my Narragansett Tom, Abbott, pecking at one of my adult chicken hens. They were both free ranging in my backyard. The hen, a Wyandotte, walked slowly away and plopped down into a dust bath hole. I was annoyed but not alarmed as the hen didn't seem too bothered by it, but Abbott follwed her and Bam-Bam! He hit her again! By this time I was cursing and throwing on my shoes. The hen got up, stumbled a few more feet away and sat down, probably dazed, on the trail to the coop where Abbott again followed her only to Bam-Bam-Bam her again. I ran over and scooped her up, there was just a bit of blood on the top of her head. I put her in a spare coop where she died later that day. Abbott had been a suspect in another hen death, but we had no proof, a couple of years ago, but since then things had been relatively harmonious. Our animals have always been pets but Abbott was more yard art than anything. I liked the gobbling noise and the pageantry, he is magnificent when he struts his stuff. My girlfriend has been advocating for Abbott's removal for years, today I finally agreed with her.

Today I just happened to glance out my window in time to catch my Narragansett Tom, Abbott, pecking at one of my adult chicken hens. They were both free ranging in my backyard. The hen, a Wyandotte, walked slowly away and plopped down into a dust bath hole. I was annoyed but not alarmed as the hen didn't seem too bothered by it, but Abbott follwed her and Bam-Bam! He hit her again! By this time I was cursing and throwing on my shoes. The hen got up, stumbled a few more feet away and sat down, probably dazed, on the trail to the coop where Abbott again followed her only to Bam-Bam-Bam her again. I ran over and scooped her up, there was just a bit of blood on the top of her head. I put her in a spare coop where she died later that day. Abbott had been a suspect in another hen death, but we had no proof, a couple of years ago, but since then things had been relatively harmonious. Our animals have always been pets but Abbott was more yard art than anything. I liked the gobbling noise and the pageantry, he is magnificent when he struts his stuff. My girlfriend has been advocating for Abbott's removal for years, today I finally agreed with her.
It's never a good idea to keep a lone tom with chickens. They will end up killing the chickens especially when they try to breed them.

Hi. I have my turkeys and chickens in the same run. One of my chickens hatched out 4 eggs and everything has been fine for the last three weeks. All of the sudden my turkey hen killed two of the chicks in about 10 minutes. Is this normal? Should I not have my turkeys in the same run?
Thank you
Today I had s heartbreak. My most beautiful copper maran sweetest hen, very submissive, was found crushed, in the run. Turkey tom had tried to mount her, he's young, I caught her dropped down, as they do, he standing on her wing and back. I shooed him away. She was just too submissive, would drop at the sound of her name, or my voice. She was a large specimen of a maran. But, today I learned the hard way. She was buried before the flock, as I do anytime one pases.
The short answer, large heritage Tom can crush a large chicken, to death.

Back
Top Bottom