Turkey Shelter Help

TerriL

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Holden, Missouri
Hello, When I got my pet turkeys several years ago I did not know anything about them so I did some reading and the two of them have done very well. I did get one thing wrong though I did not see anything about them needing shelter and mine would not go in a house even if it was right next to them and it was pouring down rain. They have been roosting on the railing of my deck for their entire 5 years of life. Well now 2 yrs ago one turkey developed an allergy and coughs and has a runny nose. My vet has tested him and has finally settled on the fact he has an allergy we do steriods ever so often to keep it cleared up. Now I know I should at least put him in a house when it rains or snows and I tried chasing him down and dragging him to an empty shed but when I am not home or it happens in the middle of the night he get soaked. So I have been trying for the last year to think of a way to get some sort of cover suspended over the deck rail so at least he does not get wet while he is roosting. I would love some ideas I just can not come up with anything that would hang over the rail. I am on disability so it would have to be something cheap and sort of easy. Well if anyone has any thoughts let me know. Thanks Terri

We are building a similiar coop to the one below for our Turkeys. The frame is built and we are putting the finishing touches on it. It is 8'W x 10' L x 8'H. We are placing several roosts in it at about 6'2 high (to clear my 6' head). The nests will be on a shelf 3' off the ground so they can get under it. The shelf will be 2'D x 8' W. Each nest will be 2' w so there will be 4 nests. We will have a paddock assigned to each coop. Once the birds are confined in the coop for several weeks, they will go back to their coop each night. You must make it a habit. They prefer roosting in the same place every night. Hope this helps.

Frank Reese JR at the Good Sheherd Turkey Ranch http://www.goodshepherdpoultryranch.com/Photos2.html is using carports in some of his paddocks. Roosts are saw horses. Guess just about any idea will work.

P. Allen Smith near Little Rock, AR uses old cotton wagons. He installs roofs, a door and steps. Roosts are on the side. He can pull the wagon from one paddock to another if he needs to.

47716_4h_backyard_coop_dcf_2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a similar issue... My 3 would only roost on top of their house. We finally gave up, took out the house and enclosed the run in viscoline on 3 sides. Put another roost up and cut a small window at roost level. They were pecking @ the viscoline because they wanted to look out toward the chickens. Their run is totally covered on top and the 3 side break the nor-easter winds. I wish we could do more but they insist on the "night air".

Last edited:
Wow Frank, You have an awsome set up. I had not thought of using the carports, that would not be something I can use I would not be able to put it up but if I find someone to help that might be an idea. Do you know how expensive those are?

I had seen P. Allen Smiths coups on tv at one time or another but like you I dont think I have ever seen any of the wagons for sale.

Thank you so much for replying, you have given me something things to think about.

Terri

Most carports start at about $695 for a 12' x 21'. We have a listing on BYC under "Everything Else For Sale" section. Turkeys perfer to roost in trees, so you need to provide something they will like. Once they get a habit of roosting somewhere, it is difficult to break them. Thus if they grow up roosting in a coop, they should always roost in a coop.

Quote:
Its clear plastic and comes in rolls. Available at WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot etc.

Actually it is called "visqueen", that is if you are referring to the clear polyethylene sheeting that comes in rolls and is used in construction.

ETA: Link

Last edited:
I've placed my order for turkeys!! Going to try the Midget Whites first because they are said to be so friendly to people and other animals. I'm building my first structure for them now, can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom