Turkey with swollen cheeks

I tried poking her cheeks with a needle but the skins a bit thick and i didnt want to hurt her. Still hasn't arrived.

Well today is the second day i just finished giving her the injection. It seems to be going down. She acts normally, I'll just have to wait a bit more. How long should i keep injecting her? a week or 2?

it works orally too. Tylan can make dead tissue spots where you inject it if you do it too frequently. Then I will give it orally. Usually I give one of my turkeys 1/2 cc of tylan 200 and taste is nasty I will give a turkey 1 cc of penicillin under skin on breast for this too. If swelling is stubborn on sinuses i will take empty syringe and 22g needle aim it towards back of head and right behind beak and under eye poke needle in sinus and withdraw the fluid then i will disconnect needle leaving it in place in sinus and connect syringe with 1/2cc of penicilin and inject it into sinus. This usually will get them on well. The whole trick is having a helper and holding the turkey still. It can take a while to get them all the way well. Sometimes they will relapse after you think they are well then i just start treating them again. I usually give them tylan for 5 days. then see if they are well. They usually don't just fall over dead from this but it will go into pneumonia if you don't treat them.

Last edited:
I'm using Tylan 50 i've injected 2x a day. I ussually change side when ever i inject, Is it better to inject right into cheeks or should i try and withdraw the fluid in cheeks.

Tylan 50 is better to inject than tylan 200. tylan 200 can kill tissue more so than tylan 50. You can also give tylan 50 orally too. I give my turkeys 1cc orally after couple days of shots because I worry about it killing tissue. i would give it for at least 5 days in row. To drain the sinuses the turkeys get well faster. All it is is, is about 3cc of clear to whitish colored fluid in there that cannot drain out. I also pick the snotty stuff off the turkeys nose everyday. To use brand new sharp needle goes into sinus easier. The turkey thinks it feels good to get fluid out of sinus so when you do it know your turkey will feel so much better when you do. I have never put tylan in sinus so I don't know about that maybe just drain it if you don't have penicillin to put in it.

Ok, I'll see if i can drain her sinuses. I just worry of her moving and how deep the needle should go in her cheeks.

Back
Top Bottom