Turkeys 101 - New To Turkeys (What Do I Need To Know?)

Most will refuse to be relocated and will return to the site. If she's already incubating them I wouldn't try moving her. They are pretty good at hiding, if it was me and I wanted her to hatch I would leave her alone and hope nothing finds her.
thanks .. i was going to try and put something around her , but when looking for the wire to put around her i heard the coyotes, couldnt chance it im hoping she will sit if not will come up with something today and put her back

thanks .. i was going to try and put something around her , but when looking for the wire to put around her i heard the coyotes, couldnt chance it im hoping she will sit if not will come up with something today and put her back
put her back today i am going to scroung around and find stuff to put around her to protect her .. i worries me to death that she is out there she is also our pet so it makes it really hard
sad.png

put her back today i am going to scroung around and find stuff to put around her to protect her .. i worries me to death that she is out there she is also our pet so it makes it really hard noc I

I consider Oldhenlikesdogs to be far more of an expert than me when it comes to turkeys. However, my personal experience with one hen is that I have moved her around a few times within the coop and she usually cooperates. I would worry not only about coyotes but snakes as well.
If I'm reading you correctly, it sounds like you have confined her in the coop. I think that's a good idea.

I consider Oldhenlikesdogs to be far more of an expert than me when it comes to turkeys. However, my personal experience with one hen is that I have moved her around a few times within the coop and she usually cooperates. I would worry not only about coyotes but snakes as well.
If I'm reading you correctly, it sounds like you have confined her in the coop. I think that's a good idea.
yes i did but i saw she was not sitting on them so i put them back the next morning, today she decieded to break all her eggs, so now im going to keep an eye out and collect the eggs before she has a chance to sit on them

Hi all! I just found/joined this site. I have a question. I have chickens but will be adding turkeys in the Spring (separate barn). I will be culling roosters tomorrow because my ratio of roos to hens is too high. Will I have the same issues with turkeys? If I order from the hatchery, I can only order straight run. Therefore, I cannot control the ratio.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all! I just found/joined this site. I have a question. I have chickens but will be adding turkeys in the Spring (separate barn). I will be culling roosters tomorrow because my ratio of roos to hens is too high. Will I have the same issues with turkeys? If I order from the hatchery, I can only order straight run. Therefore, I cannot control the ratio.

Thanks in advance!

You will have the same problem with turkeys. I prefer to have 4 to 5 hens for each tom. A one to one ratio will lead to injured and/or dead hens during breeding season along with poor fertility from toms interfering with each other during breeding attempts.

Good luck.

You will have the same problem with turkeys. I prefer to have 4 to 5 hens for each tom. A one to one ratio will lead to injured and/or dead hens during breeding season along with poor fertility from toms interfering with each other during breeding attempts.

Good luck.
Bummer

Ive heard mixed reports of the bronze ridley being very rare, while Ive spoken to a breeder who says they are quite common. I would like to keep them and norfolk/spanish blacks, but I don't want to mix them if the bronze is rare, so I can keep the lines pure. Does anyone know with any certainty?

Back
Top Bottom