Turkeys are starting to fight

Mahubbard

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
I have 12 mixed breed turkeys only 5 turned out to be hens. They are about 4 months old and the fighting has begun. My black seems to be top dog I seen my large red bow down to him the problem is the lesser ones they were going at it today and I had to separate them and they really didn't care I was there. I guess my question is at this young will the fighting get deadly? I plan on butchering most of the toms but not yet. I also wanted to keep a couple of them for breeding next year. Should I get rid of the top dogs or the lesser ones since? I would like to keep them a couple months more at least. If I separate the lesser toms from the main toms and hens do you think that will help?

Separate the females from the males and pen them up so that the males can't see them (separate runs sharing common fence is fine - just use cable ties to attach a length of that black plastic garden fabric (rolls of the 48" wide poduct are cheap) along the fence, adjusting the ht. of fabric, so the boys can't see the girls. The jakes, at 4 months, are going to spar, regardless (they form shifting alliances - gangs - alpha today - omega tomorrow), but pecking order will be more `stable', i.e., less fighting = better feed conversion, if females aren't around. Also, plenty of roost space & some straw bales piled up in run (to hide behind) help. And, any particular `overzealous' jake can be placed outside of run until nightfall (will stay right at fence - trying to be part of the action). Male that remains alpha most of the time/puts on wt. the fastest? would be potential choice for breeder. They rarely kill one another (though they can get pretty banged up), and the young one's practice a lot - shot: two young fellas ganging up on adult - (Royals tend to `jump' kick less and attack from above more often than our Slates).

Back
Top Bottom