Turkeys Stomping

jc12551

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
S.W. TN
You can all laugh at me over this. I am sure all of the experienced turkey keepers knew about this behaviors....

On Monday I was home with my youngest and I kept hearing someone knocking on the door. I work/live at a boarding school so I am used to students being around, plus I have several neighbors who stop by to buy eggs. But every time I opened the door, no one was there! I figured either the kids were playing pranks, I was imagining things, or the turkeys were knocking on the front door like they do sometimes.

Later that day I went out to hang up some laundry. One of my four toms came up to me displaying like usual. Then he started stomping on the ground! The other three toms joined in. I was flabbergasted since I have never seen this behavior before. Up to this point they just puff/hiss, strut, and gobble. The next time I thought I heard knocking on the door I looked out the back window, put 2 and 2 together and realized what I was hearing was the turkey toms stomping.

Was this aggression? Mating behavior? I did an internet search and got nothing.

There are four toms, about 10 months old, bourbon reds.

I saw my bourbon tom stomping for the first time yesterday. Very funny. I wasnt sure if it was aggressive either as he is in quarantine for bad behavior these days. He soon to be our first turkey to go to the roaster after attacking my 4yr old. I didnt think I was ready for that with him but its amazing what your ok with when your child is involved.

That is the funniest thing to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lau

I love it when my boys are all stomping. :gig

I will try to get video next time I see them doing it.

My toms stomp all the time, especially now that it's mating season. You're right, it does look like a scene from Happy Feet
gig.gif

I've watched mine do it... it's not just simple alternating sides, you stand on one foot and STOMP STOMP STOMP on tiptoe with the other foot. or STOMP STOMP, to mix it up. Then switch sides really fast and STOMP STOMP STOMP with the original foot. Switch back! STOMP STOMP / STOMP STOMP STOMP / STOMP STOMP STOMP / STOMP STOMP / STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP all while puffing out your back feathers, arching your back, pressing your dropped wings to the ground, and staring downwards, turning your head a little. Does this routine makes you fantastically attractive from a turkey point of view? Or just prove that you are co-ordinated and artistically talented? It's actually pretty hard to do (the footwork part - I have tried to imitate it and gotten tangled up in the rhythm.)

Best - exop

Does this routine makes you fantastically attractive from a turkey point of view? Or just prove that you are co-ordinated and artistically talented? It's actually pretty hard to do (the footwork part - I have tried to imitate it and gotten tangled up in the rhythm.)

He'll be out there gobbling and strutting with them before long... :p :lol:

what if your big tom (bourbon red) is on top another turkey stomping away ( the turkey is younger, and I am pretty sure it is also a tom) is the big one trying to kill the younger one???? I don't want an injury on my hands

Not aggresive. If what I'm reading is right. Sounds like the mating dance they do on a hens back.

Back
Top Bottom