Turkeys Stomping

Hubby saw our 4.5 month old black Spanish tom doing this the other day (I had previously seen him do it several times before because I spend more time with the birds) and he thought he was having a seizure! I knew better because I read up on turkeys before getting them.

Hubby saw our 4.5 month old black Spanish tom doing this the other day (I had previously seen him do it several times before because I spend more time with the birds) and he thought he was having a seizure! I knew better because I read up on turkeys before getting them.

They are marking there territory i looked it up and thats what it said

It's courtship behavior. If you'll have another look at my comment, I state that I know what the behavior means. I was simply sharing a funny story being that my hubby thought my tom was having a seizure the first time he saw him doing his stomp dance.

It's courtship behavior. If you'll have another look at my comment, I state that I know what the behavior means. I was simply sharing a funny story being that my hubby thought my tom was having a seizure the first time he saw him doing his stomp dance.

Oh im sorry it was funny when u said u kept going to the door to see who was there

My turkeys r 3 years old and I didn't c my male do the stomping thing until last summer. And Roada I'm fairly new here too and still have problem navigating this site not the most user friendly. U have to just look around to get use to it.

I've watched mine do it... it's not just simple alternating sides, you stand on one foot and STOMP STOMP STOMP on tiptoe with the other foot. or STOMP STOMP, to mix it up. Then switch sides really fast and STOMP STOMP STOMP with the original foot. Switch back! STOMP STOMP / STOMP STOMP STOMP / STOMP STOMP STOMP / STOMP STOMP / STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP all while puffing out your back feathers, arching your back, pressing your dropped wings to the ground, and staring downwards, turning your head a little. Does this routine makes you fantastically attractive from a turkey point of view? Or just prove that you are co-ordinated and artistically talented? It's actually pretty hard to do (the footwork part - I have tried to imitate it and gotten tangled up in the rhythm.)

Best - exop
Would love to have seen that. Someone missed an opportunity to video tape. Sorry I realize your post is several years old. But was here responding to a response to my post.

I love watching my tom strut and dance and shake his tail and stomp and rattle his wings . He thinks he is the center of the universe, and spends more time courting than he does eating, sleeping, or anything else. I haven't caught the hens yawning, but they sure don't look impressed.
Love your pic. It looks just like my Big Bird He too spends a lot of time looking like he's the most awesome turkey in the world. At least he thinks he is.

Back
Top Bottom