Turning a shed into a chicken house??

Hey beedaisy. I've got 4 hens right now... there's Lavern and Shirley, the two Austrloupes, and then there's Scrappy and Moeshia, white and black silkies. Scrappy earned her name when she attacked the neighbors dog! moeshia got her name cuz she a pretty black chick! KrisRose and I are planning on checking out the new chicks coming in next week, so I'll probably be thinking of more names!!
My chickens are in my garage right now. Worked out pretty good during the winter. Planning on building a coop very soon.
Make sure you do your homework on what your chickens will need. I sure learned alot since I got mine.
Good luck with your chickens!!
jumpy.gif

Also a Canadian here... I insulate! Have to or they would be fozen chickensil sticks and thier waterer would burst...bit of a warning though... my girls, when i first did it, started eating the styrafoam!!! I had to make sure nobody can get a peck at it. I swear they are crazy.....LOL! Have fun!

P.S. This spring my Hubby said we can expand the coop a bit...I wonder if that means I can get more!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

HenHappy-Sounds like a green light to me!! How much bigger, how many, and what kinds???? Chickflick's chicks were also eating her styrofoam too which surprised us both. yuck.

My coop is a converted shed, I half insulated it, and I put mesh wire inside on some of it, My floor is made of OSB Board but is underlayed with rat proof mesh wire and on the outside I have chicken wire and old sheet metal to kep the rats and other critters from chewqing through. My ventilation holes along the upper sides of the coop are covered with mesh wire also. My hens had no problems this year when the temps dropped to below 0 a couiple of nights. I have a timer with lights to come on at different times , the one light is just above the nesting boxes , so I put a heatlamp into that one to kep the eggs from freezing!!

Ive got Q's too about conversion...not many responses on my single thread.
Converting a 12x12, in to 12x6 for 12 chickens. And i DO not know where to start
so any advise would be useful

Shadow of an entrance it will be how we get inside...Please

I am converting a shed myself, and picked up insulation to do the walls this weekend. I plan to insulate the walls and build an interior wall to give myself some storage for their stuff. I also plan to coat the floor with Truck bed liner paint. I found it on another thread it helps the life of the floor and makes it easier to clean. I also plan to pick up a used window at our local Habitat Restore, to cut into the shed for ventilation. I'll post some pictures this weekend. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom