TWEAK MY COOP~Tweaks on the Cheap

Beekissed

Free Ranging
16 Years
Feb 14, 2008
This world is not my home.
Just thought I'd start a thread on coop tweaking...sort of a "Pimp My Ride" for chicken coops, but without all the glitzy frills. I don't think it's something that ever really ends as the flocks change, weather cycles change, materials wear out or you realize someone out there has a better idea that you could use. Getting ready to do the traditional spring coop tweak and, as usual, I always look for ways to do things cheap or free because chickens should be a benefit, not a liability. Anyone can throw money at a coop and make it stick, but it takes real ingenuity to do the same thing without throwing money at it, so those are the tweaks that intrigue me most..sensible, sturdy, workable cooping.

Feel free to post pics and details of your current tweaking project~especially if it's focused on repurposing or recycling things on hand, or things you've scavenged for cheap or free...I find those to be the most interesting coops of all. I'll probably be stealing pics and posts from the DIY thread because those folks have some fantastic ideas..that's a thread that's worth a look when trying to turn scraps into coops. Please don't post pics and such just to show off your mega coops that have cost you thousands of dollars to build...this is just not that kind of thread. This is a thread about finding cheap solutions for an ongoing need....more ergonomic cooping.

Knowing that this original post will be lost to editing in a few short days, I'll try to show what I'm working with and a loose idea of what I'm moving towards and why in this first post, so please forgive me if it's a tad long with pics and such.

Here's the coop I built over 2 yrs ago, an 8X10 cattle panel hoop coop. It was originally built for my mother, so small was okay...she's a small person. I think she is in one of the pics. But, guess who is using it the most? Yep..me. I'm not small. I'm not even medium. So this little Hobbit coop is really crampy for me to move around in, but I'm determined not to go larger on the coop size..that will just be more expensive. I just want to make this coop FEEL larger by changing the design and equipment a little.

At first, the design was working and I loved the coop, but soon started to see some flaws in my original ideas. I won't go into depth but the coop leaks in some areas, I should have placed the pop door in the front of the coop and also the nest boxes. And I should have more nesting situations. Ultimately, I'd love to have a bigger coop but I'm determined to keep my flock small enough to fit into this coop. I just need to do things better to do that.

This winter was the real clincher...the extended and severe cold and snows left me with a coop that was dark, dreary, wet and chilly. None of the chickens got frostbit or anything but I just wasn't satisfied with the way the coop was performing. I like my chickens to have light...lots of it...and air, lots of it.

In the winter time that air is even more important and my coop has plenty, but it just seemed to be too scattered, leaving the coop too cold for my liking. I won't heat a coop, no matter how cold it might become, but I do like my coops to retain a certain level of warmth that is some degrees warmer than the outside. I use deep litter, so that's always a challenge for winter cooping to provide the necessary ventilation to accommodate the deep litter process.

My tarps need replacing, so I'm taking this opportunity to change the weather tightness of it all, while adding more light. I've ordered a clear tarp as my base tarp for the coop so as to let in light and the warmth of the sun this next winter. In the summer, I'll apply a smaller tarp at the roof to provide shade.

I'm going to build in the end caps with the abundance of scrap lumber we have here...it will be a hodgepodge of types and sizes of lumber but a coat of paint in the end will make it all look right. I'll be placing windows at that time...just wooden shutters that can be opened or closed and the opening will have netting over it. I'll be placing ventilation panels at the bottom of these end caps as well...I'll show a pic of those later. I happen to have a few on hand.

I want to devise nesting boxes that are easily removable in case I get a broody....and then I can slip an extra nest box into that space after the broody box is removed. I'm still thinking on those but I'm leaning towards 5 gal. buckets...I have a few on hand and they are very easily obtained cheap or free. I already have hinges to use for the outside access...these were taken from old kitchen cabinets.

Well...you get the drift. There are many changes I want to make. I'll try to keep this thread updated with pics of the changes and the work in progress, as well as the finished tweak. If there even is such a thing....
big_smile.png
...tweaking just goes on and on....

Hi Bee ,will post some pics of a grow out pen/ coop , I made from an old kids trampoline,.
approx 12'w x 15' L x 6'h - as soon as i can get some dry days .raining a bit lately

cheers Pete

Just thought I'd start a thread on coop tweaking...sort of a "Pimp My Ride" for chicken coops, but without all the glitzy frills. I don't think it's something that ever really ends as the flocks change, weather cycles change, materials wear out or you realize someone out there has a better idea that you could use. Getting ready to do the traditional spring coop tweak and, as usual, I always look for ways to do things cheap or free because chickens should be a benefit, not a liability. Anyone can throw money at a coop and make it stick, but it takes real ingenuity to do the same thing without throwing money at it, so those are the tweaks that intrigue me most..sensible, sturdy, workable cooping.

Feel free to post pics and details of your current tweaking project~especially if it's focused on repurposing or recycling things on hand, or things you've scavenged for cheap or free...I find those to be the most interesting coops of all. I'll probably be stealing pics and posts from the DIY thread because those folks have some fantastic ideas..that's a thread that's worth a look when trying to turn scraps into coops. Please don't post pics and such just to show off your mega coops that have cost you thousands of dollars to build...this is just not that kind of thread. This is a thread about finding cheap solutions for an ongoing need....more ergonomic cooping.

Knowing that this original post will be lost to editing in a few short days, I'll try to show what I'm working with and a loose idea of what I'm moving towards and why in this first post, so please forgive me if it's a tad long with pics and such.

Here's the coop I built over 2 yrs ago, an 8X10 cattle panel hoop coop. It was originally built for my mother, so small was okay...she's a small person. I think she is in one of the pics. But, guess who is using it the most? Yep..me. I'm not small. I'm not even medium. So this little Hobbit coop is really crampy for me to move around in, but I'm determined not to go larger on the coop size..that will just be more expensive. I just want to make this coop FEEL larger by changing the design and equipment a little.

At first, the design was working and I loved the coop, but soon started to see some flaws in my original ideas. I won't go into depth but the coop leaks in some areas, I should have placed the pop door in the front of the coop and also the nest boxes. And I should have more nesting situations. Ultimately, I'd love to have a bigger coop but I'm determined to keep my flock small enough to fit into this coop. I just need to do things better to do that.

This winter was the real clincher...the extended and severe cold and snows left me with a coop that was dark, dreary, wet and chilly. None of the chickens got frostbit or anything but I just wasn't satisfied with the way the coop was performing. I like my chickens to have light...lots of it...and air, lots of it.

In the winter time that air is even more important and my coop has plenty, but it just seemed to be too scattered, leaving the coop too cold for my liking. I won't heat a coop, no matter how cold it might become, but I do like my coops to retain a certain level of warmth that is some degrees warmer than the outside. I use deep litter, so that's always a challenge for winter cooping to provide the necessary ventilation to accommodate the deep litter process.

My tarps need replacing, so I'm taking this opportunity to change the weather tightness of it all, while adding more light. I've ordered a clear tarp as my base tarp for the coop so as to let in light and the warmth of the sun this next winter. In the summer, I'll apply a smaller tarp at the roof to provide shade.

I'm going to build in the end caps with the abundance of scrap lumber we have here...it will be a hodgepodge of types and sizes of lumber but a coat of paint in the end will make it all look right. I'll be placing windows at that time...just wooden shutters that can be opened or closed and the opening will have netting over it. I'll be placing ventilation panels at the bottom of these end caps as well...I'll show a pic of those later. I happen to have a few on hand.

I want to devise nesting boxes that are easily removable in case I get a broody....and then I can slip an extra nest box into that space after the broody box is removed. I'm still thinking on those but I'm leaning towards 5 gal. buckets...I have a few on hand and they are very easily obtained cheap or free. I already have hinges to use for the outside access...these were taken from old kitchen cabinets.

Well...you get the drift. There are many changes I want to make. I'll try to keep this thread updated with pics of the changes and the work in progress, as well as the finished tweak. If there even is such a thing....
big_smile.png
...tweaking just goes on and on....

oh wow Bee you got lots of ideas and I can't wait to see it all!!
pop.gif
Where did you find your clear cover for it? I was thinking the other day I needed some more cover over my run in one area.

Hi Bee ,will post some pics of a grow out pen/ coop , I made from an old kids trampoline,.
approx 12'w x 15' L x 6'h - as soon as i can get some dry days .raining a bit lately

cheers Pete
that's cool, loads of people just pile those frames up for hauling to the scrap metal yards. I have seen some make things for grape vines to run on.

cheers Pete

Please do, Pete! I've heard of others using the trampolines but have not seen just how they are using them effectively....should be interesting and give others ideas on how to do the same.
oh wow Bee you got lots of ideas and I can't wait to see it all!!
pop.gif
Where did you find your clear cover for it? I was thinking the other day I needed some more cover over my run in one area.

I think I ordered off of Amazon and it was pretty much what I would have paid around here...only I can't get the clear tarps around here. They aren't exactly clear, clear...those are VERY expensive. This one is merely opaque.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071EH6X2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please do, Pete! I've heard of others using the trampolines but have not seen just how they are using them effectively....should be interesting and give others ideas on how to do the same.

I think I ordered off of Amazon and it was pretty much what I would have paid around here...only I can't get the clear tarps around here. They aren't exactly clear, clear...those are VERY expensive. This one is merely opaque.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071EH6X2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
ah OK, was just wondering.

Got my grommet kit in the mail today with 100 grommets enclosed. I ordered an opaque tarp on Amazon and while reading the reviews several folks had complained about the spacing of the grommets and I always find that inconvenient with other tarps as well, so this kit is my answer. Not only that, but it will help me make my own "tarps" out of plastic sheeting this winter as a wind block for my extra pen. It's a good and cheap solution for such problems.

I'm still puzzling out my nest boxes for the coop and haven't decided if I'll go with 5 gal. buckets set into a frame or not. The reason I like this idea is the portability, price, weather and water proof-ness and availability of the buckets. It's something I won't have to build but merely tweak. If I get a broody glued to a nest, I won't have to move her out of the nest but just move the whole nest with her in it...I like that option and my original nest boxes were supposed to be that way but I didn't have anything built to put in its place if I moved one...short-sighted to say the least.

I also like that they are easy to clean, change the design on or replace if something happens to one.

Will be incorporating pallets into the construction on my all purpose pen and will probably use my old nest boxes into that pen.

Hi Bee, just gotta tell you first I subscribe to all of your posts. Love your down-home wisdom and can-do attitude. Also your spirit and spiritualism.

:)That being said... I am confused. Your coop looks perfect on a bright spring day.....but I don't see your deep litter and I can't imagine what that would be like in the winter we had here in eastern NC, much less in WV.

What does it look like in deep winter, how do you winterize?

I have a small backyard flock with a wooden stick-built coop. Actually, I have two coops, that one rock-solid small one a friend buit for me and one tee tiny little piece of falling apart nothing (cute but leaks, tarp-covered from the get-go) and coming to pieces after only one year (off the internet, imported of course) that I only use for broodies and babies, although all my hens (only 5 altogether, with one bantam roo) lay their eggs in it 'cause it's cozy. I tried some repairs to the nest box lid this afternoon and ended up throwing a board on there and weighting it down with about 10 bricks because it is just a POS. Pardon my language.

Please advise when you get an opportunity. Just curious, thank you!
Jane::)

Got my grommet kit in the mail today with 100 grommets enclosed. I ordered an opaque tarp on Amazon and while reading the reviews several folks had complained about the spacing of the grommets and I always find that inconvenient with other tarps as well, so this kit is my answer. Not only that, but it will help me make my own "tarps" out of plastic sheeting this winter as a wind block for my extra pen. It's a good and cheap solution for such problems.

I'm still puzzling out my nest boxes for the coop and haven't decided if I'll go with 5 gal. buckets set into a frame or not. The reason I like this idea is the portability, price, weather and water proof-ness and availability of the buckets. It's something I won't have to build but merely tweak. If I get a broody glued to a nest, I won't have to move her out of the nest but just move the whole nest with her in it...I like that option and my original nest boxes were supposed to be that way but I didn't have anything built to put in its place if I moved one...short-sighted to say the least.

I also like that they are easy to clean, change the design on or replace if something happens to one.

Will be incorporating pallets into the construction on my all purpose pen and will probably use my old nest boxes into that pen.
Bee I really like that idea with the buckets so you can move her. Cool idea!

Hi Bee, just gotta tell you first I subscribe to all of your posts. Love your down-home wisdom and can-do attitude. Also your spirit and spiritualism.

:)That being said... I am confused. Your coop looks perfect on a bright spring day.....but I don't see your deep litter and I can't imagine what that would be like in the winter we had here in eastern NC, much less in WV.

What does it look like in deep winter, how do you winterize?

I have a small backyard flock with a wooden stick-built coop. Actually, I have two coops, that one rock-solid small one a friend buit for me and one tee tiny little piece of falling apart nothing (cute but leaks, tarp-covered from the get-go) and coming to pieces after only one year (off the internet, imported of course) that I only use for broodies and babies, although all my hens (only 5 altogether, with one bantam roo) lay their eggs in it 'cause it's cozy. I tried some repairs to the nest box lid this afternoon and ended up throwing a board on there and weighting it down with about 10 bricks because it is just a POS. Pardon my language.

Please advise when you get an opportunity. Just curious, thank you!
Jane:
smile.png
I'd love to do that as well Jane. LOVE her info and her and like you said, wisdom. :) What I did NCC was click on her name and it will tell you all the post she makes so I can follow her that way. lol I'm stalking her.
gig.gif
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom