Twin Chicks Double yolk

Day 3

I normally just lurk, but I'm in Austin, too. Battling an egg-eating opossum at the moment. Hope you get twins safely. That would be very cool. I've had my silkies brood eggs for me, but out of 5 we only got 1 healthy hatch. If may be the girls just didn't know what they were doing.

Sorry about the opossum! That's horrible! We will be breeding our silkies this spring. We're hoping for some frizzles too. What kind do you have?

Im from Bucksport Maine, a bit out in the middle of no-where compared to everyone else... Quaint little Maine town.

A few things on assisted hatches and a few reasons I encourage them;
Meet Lucky.

Lucky is and American Buff Goose, and her name is fitting. She came to me as a gift, one of two American Buff eggs given to me after my beloved goose Didi (my profile pic) passed away due to stroke. Both eggs began developing but one quit half way through incubation. Hatch day finally rolled around, there were signs of life from the goose egg, however no pips were made. The days continued to roll by. Almost a week after she was due, I was water candling and noticed the egg still wobbled slightly but was obviously weak. I decided to intervene. I took my hunting knife and made a small chip in the air pocket part of the shell. I widened the hole to get a better view of the situation. Shrink wrap. Gosling still alive, and attempting to breath beneath the membrane, but unable to push its bill through the membrane to breath. I located the bill and very carefully slit the membrane, she pushed her bill through and began breathing. I put the egg back in the incubator and left for 9 hours. When I returned I slowly began chipping away the shell, stopping when blood was present, and returning every 2 to 4 hours. After a long, sleepless night, Lucky was finally free. Weak, but alive. One of my hens hatched eggs the same day, so I slipped her under her thinking it was her best chance of survival. After a few days of electrolyte solution with and eye dropper, and some gentle encouragement from a mother hen and her brood, you would never know she had any trouble whatsoever. Assisted hatches are possible at any stage of incubation, it just takes patience, precision, and hope.
Lucky is now my favorite goose and I am forever grateful I made the attempt to save her.
I fully believe hatching these double yolks is possible if they dont quit before hatch day.

She's adorable! We have thought about raising a few ducks. I am a bit weary about assisted hatching. I know the double will need it if they make it that far but I have plenty of time to learn about it before then
hu.gif
.... hopefully

If it comes down to it, do not hesitate to contact me, I have some experience. Also there are some great videos out there. Ducks are alright, messy though. I have them in with my chickens although I desperately want to make them their own coop. Their tendency to muddy up the coop is not good for the birds. If you do decide to get ducks I recommend Cayugas. They are mellow and cleaner than other breeds. Geese are not as messy however mine have killed chickens before, and should probably be kept in their own coop. They are not aggressive towards me however.

Awesome thread! Been following along for a while now
smile.png
. For some reason I love the idea of hatching double yolk eggs. Not really positive about this, but for double yolks the chicks would be considered fraternal twins right? because they come from different blastoderm(therefore different genetic shuffles). I think to get identical twins they would have to have split from the same yolk. Is that even possible? I mostly have knowledge about mammal biology as I only recently got into chickens haha

Awesome thread! Been following along for a while now
smile.png
. For some reason I love the idea of hatching double yolk eggs. Not really positive about this, but for double yolks the chicks would be considered fraternal twins right? because they come from different blastoderm(therefore different genetic shuffles). I think to get identical twins they would have to have split from the same yolk. Is that even possible? I mostly have knowledge about mammal biology as I only recently got into chickens haha
that's a great question, I always thought it would be fraternal...that might be a good question for @dawg53 if we could get him to visit this thread
or he also has a question and answer thread on byc...

Back
Top Bottom