Twin Chicks Double yolk

Because fraternal, or dizygotic, twins are 2 separate fertilized eggs, they usually develop 2 separate amniotic sacs, placentas, and supporting structures. Identical, or monozygotic, twins may or may not share the same amniotic sac, depending on how early the single fertilized egg divides into 2.

Because fraternal, or dizygotic, twins are 2 separate fertilized eggs, they usually develop 2 separate amniotic sacs, placentas, and supporting structures. Identical, or monozygotic, twins may or may not share the same amniotic sac, depending on how early the single fertilized egg divides into 2.

That is how i understand mammals to work yes they covered it very extensively in year one and two college bio(for science majors not arts) but for some reason there was almost nothing about birds. From what I've read about egg development, in the case of birds, i understand that the yolk develops from one ovum. So that means a double yolk comes from two ovum therefor are essentially two eggs encased in the same shell. right? So i guess they would have to be fraternal. What I can't find anywhere is if it is even possible for one yolk to develop into two embryos? or if it is has it ever been recorded to happen? That would be really interesting, though I suppose you might also end up with some weird conjoined twins if it where possible.

I read somewhere once that it's had not been documented to happen because no-one has ever seen it happen. That's not to say it can't but I'm not sure how that would work.

Ty I had no idea or would be so popular! To be honest I really just made it to keep up with their progress and for advice. Their has been great advice given on this thread. If I can't get a double yolk to hatch I'm sure others can with this information.

Just interested... have any eggs reached Day 21 yet? And do you still have any of the double yolkers incubating? I really, really want to see ot hatch out with two chicks for you!!

I have 6 singles on lockdown, 2 doubles one is on day 7 the other is only on day 3. I have another that I'm not sure what going on with it. It was a healthy double but either one absorbed the other this early or the both of the fetus are overlapping making it appear huge! In keeping a close eye on that one

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom