Twitching of the head - almost seisure like

jdunham

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 25, 2014
I'm new to raising chickens. I just bought a home 3 months ago and inherited the chickens with the home. My favorite is our smallest little bantem. I've had some issue with her limping, and she had quite a bit of growth on her feet (assuming mite poop build up) so I've given her warm water foot baths and coated her feet in VetRX then a layer of vaseline (based on the many forums I've read her at BYC). After softly scrubbing her feet with the bath - this appears to really help this problem.

Being the smallest she gets picked on a lot. (btw we have no roosters). She really just runs when she gets chased by some of the bigger birds. I think she may have hurt her leg a bit since her limping is back but it's really worse but her feet don't look any worse than normal. We've just finished building a new 2nd coop and we put the 3 bantams we have in there so this would help her heal eventually. I read about giving them aspirin, for sprains, and I gave her a tiny amount yesterday. I was worried that this caused this head twitching issue that she has this morning? But from what I read - this doesn't seem to be the likely culprit? I'm very worried about her. It's really the only change since yesterday. When we went out this morning, we found her doing this twitching thing. I've read maybe an ear infection? or ??? Her eyes seem clear and she doesn't seem to have any respiratory sound issues. And there isn't any weird substances coming out of her ears, etc. She does seem to be a bit wobbly.

Any help will be appreciated. Here is a link to a video I uploaded to Vimeo:
(this is the close up but it's not as severe as when I stood further away)

here is one from farther away which actually shows how severe it is, the quality is just less.

I should say too, that she is eating, drinking and she pooped this morning. She seems to be doing the head bobbing a bit less now, but it's still happening sometimes as she's sitting outside.

I had a chicken like that. Her head twitched and sometimes she ran around in circles for minutes at a time with her head ticking to the side. These seizures were caused by a fall from a perch when she was younger. Do you have any high perches in your coop that your bird may have fallen from?

No high perches. But she has had trouble from time to time (when she was molting) have enough energy to fly up as she is used to doing (rather than take the ladder) to the nesting boxes.

I don't know what caused it then. But if she were my bird I'd just go with the rule that as long as she can eat, drink, and move around, I'd leave it. The bird I had like that, stayed that way all her life and she was fine, she lived to be 9 and 1/2 years old.
And if getting in the nest box is easier for her, I'd just let her, give her her own sleeping box.
Sorry I can't be more helpful...

Back
Top Bottom