Two Chicks - Do I add a 3rd and 4th?

This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

As might this:
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

That will change when you add another bird in there.
Territoriality will bring out the worst in them and they will attack the new 'invader'.

What about during extreme weather?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2751744
I see...I'll see if I can add. We are in Southern California (a beach community outside of LA) so fortunately very mild climate.

Yeah I'm thinking stick with 2 since they seem content and I don't want crowd them like you said.

I was ready to say add 2-3 more standard chicks, but now that I've seen the set-up I might suggest you stick with two. They're going to destroy that pretty little green patch no matter what you do. When one passes (if the other is also older at the time) then I would add 3 banties. That coop would be good for 3 bantams going forward.

I was ready to say add 2-3 more standard chicks, but now that I've seen the set-up I might suggest you stick with two. They're going to destroy that pretty little green patch no matter what you do. When one passes (if the other is also older at the time) then I would add 3 banties. That coop would be good for 3 bantams going forward.
Yeah they are only babies right now at 12 weeks so I have to remember that they will get much bigger and it won't seem spacious then!

Yeah they are only babies right now at 12 weeks so I have to remember that they will get much bigger and it won't seem spacious then!
I think it will seem just perfect for two. You will be able to keep it nice and clean and I would plant flowers on the outside of the fence to make a barrier if they begin to make a dirt patch.

Honestly, 2 chickens that get along is such a thing of peace and serenity that you will love it. Adding more will always cause disruption - bullying, fighting, gang behavior (not kidding).

It will be lovely and peaceful.

Just NEVER go to a place that has chicks for sale. Avoid it entirely.

I think it will seem just perfect for two. You will be able to keep it nice and clean and I would plant flowers on the outside of the fence to make a barrier if they begin to make a dirt patch.

Honestly, 2 chickens that get along is such a thing of peace and serenity that you will love it. Adding more will always cause disruption - bullying, fighting, gang behavior (not kidding).

It will be lovely and peaceful.

Just NEVER go to a place that has chicks for sale. Avoid it entirely.
Thanks LizzyJo...it does sound lovely.

This might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

As might this:
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
This article is so helpful. Thank you again! Oh and I was able to add my location.

I brought home 3 baby chicks 11 weeks ago (sold as pullets). Unfortunately one has turned out to be a rooster which I am in the process of rehoming (very devastated but that's a different thread!). The other two (Speckled Sussex and Olive Egger) are very sweet, happy, and well adjusted...their rooster brother has not left yet so it may be different after he's gone. But I was wondering if the 2 are happy by themselves, would it be better to not add more to the flock? I'd really like to have 3 chickens...in case something were to happen to one of them and because 2 seems a little lonely and I have room for 3 for sure. But I don't want to cause undue stress on the 2 girls. Also, would it be ok to add just 1 chicken (same age/size) to a very small flock of 2 like ours? Or do I still need to add 2 at a time?
Why don’t you just wait a couple years, because speckled Sussex usually go broody and then you could give her a day old chick to raise:)

Back
Top Bottom